Chapter Six: Boot Camp and Bad Asses

Start from the beginning

She'd looked me over seriously, keeping a firm hold on my hand but she sighed, biting the inside of her lip. "I still don't understand it." She hugged me to her. "But if you're sure it's what you want..."

"Thank you for trying, Tawny." I hugged her back.

I'd made quick goodbyes to the little children and then Tawny and I rushed to the market place where Opall was waiting for me with the coins. I made sure Tawny tucked them away safely and explained to her what to do with it, then Opall urged that we'd better hurry, cautiously watching the sky.

"Thank you." I'd told her, squeezing her hand for the last time. "You're the reason I'm even still alive, and you've been family to me."

"What am supposed to do without you?" She wiped a tear from her cheek.

I tried to smile and act tough for her because that's what she needed. "You'll be cleaning up way less messes without me."

"That's true." She laughed. "But I'm still going to miss you."

"I'll miss you too. All the time."

Tawny and I try hard not to be the mushy types, so we left it at that.

I'd dropped her hand and she watched me go with Opall until we were both out of sight to each other.

I'd told the truth.

I've only been here a few 'hours' according to the others, but it's felt like a lifetime since I said goodbye to my only real friend. Maybe I'd rushed into coming here. Do I even really know what I've gotten myself into?

"Hey," Oliver put a hand on my shoulder and I nearly ripped it off and broke his hand before I realized it was him and got my head back in the present. "I've been right where you are before, and it's hard at first, but it gets easier. You've taken the first step, now follow through."

He doesn't wait to see if his version of a peptalk has worked or not, he just goes on to join the others up ahead where they wait near the large entrance door to the building.

I stall for as long as I feel like I really can.

It's now or never.

And I did already promise myself to see this through, and Tawny already saw me off on this adventure, so I guess it would be weak of me to come running back after only a little while away from home. And I'm tougher than that.

"Coming, newbie?" Maxum waves me over with a big arm while Tonyedda frowns at him disapprovingly.

A group of others have gathered around the entrance and my group as well.

Lots of people watching me to see what I'll chose.

Temptation to go back is strong, but not as strong as my determination.

I hold my head high and walk right through the door, wishing as soon as I was in that I'd decided to run away instead.

"Welcome to bootcamp Newbs!"

I slam into a line of other equally shocked looking people right inside the door and someone put their hands on the tops of my shoulder to direct me into the line but I twist, planting a solid fist right into the soft center of an older boy's stomach, making him double over.

"Alright, I like it." He coughs, trying to get air back into him. "You'll be fun."

"Back off." I snap, but he just drops his smile and frowns at the blue necklace around my neck.

"Awh, come on, a peace maker?" He sighs, scuffling off to the other end of the line.

"That's what I said." I mumble under my breath to no one in particular, though there are plenty of people to choose from.