After at very silent and somewhat awkward breakfast, Nicole and I got in the car and she started driving to the school. During the drive, I decided to bring it up again.

"Why did you seem like you didn't wanna talk about it?" I asked her.
"What do you mean?" Nicole asked.
"When I told you about Gus asking if we were together."
"Oh. It's not that I don't wanna talk about it..."
"Well then what is it?"
"I just- I don't know. I mean, I asked what you told her because I wanted to know what you were thinking about it... and when you said you didn't know, I wasn't sure what to say."
"Well, are we?"
"Are we what?"
"Together," I said, looking at her.

Nicole's hand tightened around the wheel and she shifted in her seat.

"Do you wanna be?" She asked me.

I did... But the fact that she was asking worried me a bit.

"Do you?" I asked her.
"Waverly-"
"What?"
"That doesn't answer my question."
"Well, why can't you just tell me?"
"It's-" Nicole sighed. "It's complicated."
What does she mean complicated? "What are you talking about?"
"I just- Can we talk about this later?"
"No, we can't. I wanna talk about this now."
"I don't," Nicole said, pulling up to the school.
"Nicole-"
"Waverly, please. Just-... Later. Okay?"
I sighed, rolling my eyes. "Fine."

As soon as Nicole parked, I got out of the car and started walking to the school.

"Waverly, wait!" Nicole called out.

I didn't. I was mad. Well, not mad, but hurt. She'd hurt my feelings. I wanted her to say that she wants to be with me. I don't do that stupid "friends with benefits" crap. I kiss Nicole because I have feelings for her, and I want to be in a relationship with her.

I walked into the school and rushed to my locker, eager to get to class before anyone in the hallway noticed the tears that were falling down my face. I put my combination in and pulled my locker open.

When I opened my locker, I saw a teddy bear, flowers, and a red envelope with my name written on it, sitting inside. My eyes widened, the remaining tears still rolling down my cheeks. Nicole ran down the hallway, slowing down when she saw me at my locker. I was speechless. I didn't know what to think. Was it from her?

Nicole walked over and reached in, grabbing the envelope. She handed it to me. "Open it," she said.
I looked at the envelope and then up at her. "You did this?" I asked, my eyes still watering.
Nicole nodded. "Yeah," she said.

I opened the envelope and pulled the card out. I started crying again when I read what she'd written.

Will you be my girlfriend?

Nicole stepped closer and reached up to wipe my tears. "Don't cry, Waves," she whispered.
I sniffled and laughed. "It's happy, don't worry," I told her. I looked up at her, smiling. "Of course I will."

Nicole smiled widely and hugged me. The kids around us stopped and stared at us, so we pulled apart and I shoved the envelope into my locker before grabbing my books. Nicole walked away to go to her own locker, and I went to class. She came to class not long after and we sat next to each other.

Throughout the school day, we would exchange looks and smiles with each other. At lunchtime, instead of sitting in the cafeteria in the school, we went to our secret place behind the school. We left class together, and walked outside. As soon as we were in an area where the other kids couldn't see us, Nicole took my hand and intertwined our fingers. I smiled warmly, my heart rate picking up as soon as her hand was touching mine.

We sat down in the grass and Nicole put her arm around me. I sighed happily and leaned my head against her shoulder.

"Nicole Haught is my girlfriend..." I said out loud. It felt so good to say.
Nicole smiled. "And Waverly Earp is mine," she said. She kissed my forehead and I smiled widely.