I

"And you orchestrated this all by yourself?"

Zethus swallowed before responding, trying to prevent his voice from cracking and betraying his genuine nervous state. "Yes, sir, I did..."

The young Fighter waited silently for a moment, his commanding officer was seated right in front of him at his desk, looking over his file. He had been told over and over again that he wouldn't be sent home, but at this point he didn't know who he could really trust.

"I see... Tell me, Sicyon," the commander spoke, using the ship's name instead of the fighter's, "how would you like to be a part of something very important to the advancement of our race?"

"I assume you understand why you've been transferred to my ship, Sicyon."

Zethus sighed. This commander was new, new to him and likely new in general, but he was looking at the young fighter with eyes that said that he already would like to dump him back off on Mars and see how long he lasted there. 

Zethus reached up and ran a hand through his hair. He had recently gotten it cut short again for the first time, but it was already starting to grow out a bit shaggy, "Oh, yes, Sir, I understand."

"I don't care for your tone, fighter. Being here is a privilege, and I will make certain that this Navigator is your last." The commander was nearly cut off by a buzz of the intercom. "Come in," he called without looking up, and quickly typed something on his data pad. The door opened, and in stepped a navigator. Zethus clamped down on the inside of his cheek with his molars. This navigator that entered was milky pale, with long platinum hair tied up in a loose knot at the nape of his neck, and when he turned, it became apparent that he had striking, dark eyes. He seemed nervous, reluctant to even acknowledge Zethus' presence in the room at first.

"Zethus, this is Amphion."

Almost on cue, the Navigator brought his hand up to sweep a lock of hair behind his ear.  Zethus glanced over at him, attracted by the movement, and gave a fraction of a nod in response. The pair was quickly turned out into the hallway after a few formalities and a stern look was delivered to Zethus, a look of warning. 

Zethus noticed that the navigator was staring at him like a deer caught in headlights, but whenever he turned his head and attempted to make eye contact he would quickly turn away like a child caught with his hand in the cookie jar. They were quiet while they walked, neither of the pair were quite ready to talk, and they both had their own reasons. Zethus was sure whether he was pleased or irritated that the Federation had dropped such a timid Navigator right in his lap, but he was almost certainly a throw away Navi. Probably relatively untalented in comparison to the rest, or had barely passed his physical, or something. Something was odd about this Amphion. There was no doubt in his mind at all there.

Amphion reached for the door handle. "Welcome... to the Alpha Centauri..." he kept his voice low, partially because they were entering a dormitory area, partially because of how nervous he was. 

They stopped at a room down near the end of the hallway. Before he could even think over what he wanted yo convey with his action, Zethus reached out and swept a hand up under Amphion's chin. He supposed that his instincts had become much smarter than him, anyways.