Culinaria L'amore Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

I raised an eyebrow, impressed that he sounded so determined. "Well, why aren't you at school right now?"

Harrison grimaced, "my classes usually start at five in the. Morning and the last one ends around four so I have time to work." He looked at my worried and guilty face before chuckling a bit, "don't worry, it's my day off."

"Do you still play tennis? You were really good. Last time I checked, your speed for the first serve is still the state record.

His face immediately clouded over as he ran a hand through his hair. "Actually, I haven't been playing since may."

Calculating the months that had passed, I realized that he hadn't played in nearly half a year. "What happened?" I asked, giving him a concerned look, "you were so passionate about your matches."

Sighing, he took a long swig of his hot chocolate before answering. "Um, car accident. It tore some tendons in my right elbow so I was out for a couple months. Now I'm just trying to survive and pay off the medical bills so I don't have time to really hit around."

Harrison didn't seem like the type to want sympathy so I just said, "bummer. I was hoping to learn how to play from you."

His grin returned immediately as he stared down at me. "It's a date. Just name the time and place."

I gulped at the use of his word 'date'. "Um, yeah, totally. And then I can teach you how to not burn water."

Groaning, he gave me a pathetic look. "I cannot believe you still remember that incident from sophomore year. I swear, it was an accident. Seriously, I didn't mean to turn the wrong stovetop on. I actually am a pretty decent cook. My Ramen tastes delicious."

I winced at his comment, gently punching him in the shoulder. "You are such a bachelor. Are your socks everywhere in your apartment and dirty dishes are in your sink permanently?"

"Well, I don't have dishes to clean since I eat straight from the ramen bowl but no there are no dirty socks. Just an malnourished, pretty attractive guy that could be looking for company." He muttered, giving me a wink. Immediately, I thought of Garrett's flirting, which seemed so similar to Harrison's, and I gulped nervously again.

"Well someone's not conceited." I muttered wryly, trying to hide my nerves.

Harrison laughed, then sobered up quickly. "So um Kirsten. Do you want to do this again some time?"

"Listen Harrison..." I began, looking guiltily at my crumbling scone.

His sigh interrupted me. "Boyfriend?"

"Actually, sort of."

"Sort of? What guy would just 'sort of' be your boyfriend?"

Seeing the look on my face, he muttered, "sorry. He must be a really great guy for you to like in that way. Lucky bastard. Friends?"

I smiled weakly, taking his hand and shaking it. "Friends."

"So now it's time for me to cross examine you since you did the same with me. Where are you going to school?"

"The Bianchi Culinary Institute."

Harrison whistled, looking very impressed. "You weren't kidding when you said that you could cook. Damn, you must be really good in order to get into that school. Read once that it was the top institute in the nation. Crazy. Can I have your autograph?"

I laughed as he extended a napkin towards me. "It's not that big of a deal. Really."

"Sure, whatever. If you say so. Next question. How's your family doing? Your mom was always so nice."