the escape

It had been a long time since you last caught a break. Winded and on the brink of unconsciousness, you hook a sharp left, relying on memory for the nearest escape. A gunshot echoes behind you and snags a pipe overhead, shouting comes afterwards. The pipe bursts and gas pours out of the hole.

     "hey, stop! get back here!" a voice shouts but you drown it out. What you had been looking for was right in-front of you.

     You jam a quick finger at the elevator button, praying that it would descend from whatever floor it was on faster. Under the sound of the repetitive alarm, footsteps grow closer.

     "c'mon, c'mon." you whisper, and as if it heard you the door dings and opens. Before the doors open completely you slip in-between the gap, just to swiftly turn and probed at the 'up' knob. Undecipherable grunts come from down the hall- some that you could assume were directed towards you.

     You had been taught at such a young age to never use any of your powers at any higher power at the lab. No matter what. That rule had been engraved in your brain and every time you would disobey you get punished. Yet, there was no time to worry about any consequences.

     As soon as you saw a foot of one of the guards round the corner you felt a tingly, head-splitting sensation pinch the bridge of your nose, shooting out back to the base of your skull. It hurts immensely but it wasn't nothing you weren't used to. Blood seeps from one of your nostrils, the pain worsens, the lights start flickering more aggressively- the figures down the hall turn into strobe lights,  blinding and out of control. The deafening shriek of the alarms become distant, you feel out of body, safe. 

    Then, silence.

     No more guards, no more shooting, no more seizure inducing lights. Just the comfort of the cold elevator tile, the soft dinging of the machines counting each floor up, just you and the peace, finding freedom in escaping.

     And hopefully, no more papa.

     On the other side of town, a young group of friends huddle together, plotting out a way to find their missing friend. After weeks of countless search parties- searching through the woods for any signs of life, or lost items, people have lost morale. Slowly giving up on finding the missing boy.

     "guys, we have to go and look for him. I'm sick of sitting here and doing nothing!" Mike, who the group calls the 'party leader', grunts. Forcing a flashlight and some extra towels into his green backpack.

     Lucas, who was lazily leaning against a chair, looks up at Mike, uninterested. "you heard what Hopper said, Mike. no looking for him- 'leave it to the adults'." He lowers his voice an octave, trying his best Hopper impression.

     "yeah and where has that gotten them? it's been 5 days! Hawkins isn't that big of a town to not find him!" Mike shoves a granola bar into the side pocket.

     "He could be anywhere."

     Dustin grimaces, "He does have a point Lucas." To that, Lucas rolls his eyes.

     "I don't care," He shrugs, "Hopper said don't, so I'm out."

      Mike drops everything he has in his hand, and walks up to Lucas, who was still resting with a bored look on his face. After a moment, Mike stands before him- and flicks him on the forehead. Lucas shouts in pain, hands shooting up to his head to numb it, Dustin laughs at him as Mike picks up his bag.

     "If you don't want to come fine, but if you're really letting Hopper be the boss of you at least keep this a secret," Mike hands Dustin the bag in his hand, he slings it around his shoulder as Mike pulls out another and puts his on his back. "and don't feel bad when we find Will and he sees you not there and gets upset."

     He lets it sit in Lucas' mind and nudges Dustin to follow him up the stairs. As they reach the top someone shouts "wait!" and they turn around slowly.

     Lucas stands at the bottom of the stairs, a nervous expression on his face, "wait, I'll come, I'll come."

     Mike smiles and nods his head to the couch in the corner of the room, "Your backpack is over there."