Chapter 2

(Max's POV)

I was not expecting this at all. Nikki was the one who'd let out every damn secret in the world. But I didn't see anybody laughing at me or calling me out. I guess she can be relied on. 

Today, David told us to walk around the camp to get to know the camp better in case we were to get lost (I doubt it). He put us in pairs. It was me and Nikki, Neil and Space Kid, Erid and Dolph, Nerris and Harrison and lastly, Preston and Nurf. We all went out to explore the place.

"We're finally alone," Nikki sighed.

"Don't get any fucking ideas," I spat. "We're not two teenagers eager for sex." I paused. "But it is nice to get away from David for a while."

We went deeper into the forest, where it got a little darker.

"Oo," Nikki chuckled. "Darkness." I stood silent and kept walking on twigs and shit. I really didn't mind it until Nikki fell somewhere and I didn't see her.

"Nikki?" I asked. "Where are you?" I saw Nikki sputtering and saying that she was ok and that she landed in a weird, big puddle. "Nikki, that's not a puddle. That's a bog."

"What is a bog?" She replied.

"Neil told me about this," I explained. "A bog is made of thick, deep mud, moss and decaying animal corpses." 

"Gross!" She exclaimed while trying to move towards me.

"Unlike quicksand," I continued, "a bog can take you under if you move too much! Also, if you move to much, methane will rise and you'll die from asphyxiation!"

"Suddenly," Nikki chuckled, "now, I don't wanna go under the surface."

"Then grab my hand!" I said as I outstretched my hand towards her. But I wish my arms were longer. Nikki was almost submerged in the bog! Then, I instantly took of my sweatshirt and used it to pull Nikki from her muddy demise.

"Thanks Max," Nikki sighed as she used my sweatshirt to clean her face. "I owe you one."

"You're welcome," I replied. 

"Sorry about you your sweatshirt," Nikki apologized.

"Don't sweat it," I replied. "Got more where that came from. Anyways, wanna get back to the camp?"

"I thought I'd never say this," Nikki sighed, "but yes." We silently walked back to the camp, away from the bog.