Sugar And Pickups

Start from the beginning

“I’d say thanks, but no thanks. I have to work.”

He laughed. “Well so do I. Hell, I’m supposed to be there now. Just call in sick.”

I bit my lip. “I would but . . . I need the money.”

“Oh c’mon babe, how much can clothes and makeup really cost.”

“I don’t spend my money on clothes and makeup,” I informed him, “I’m saving up for college.”

“College?” he scoffed, “Who needs college? Not me, and especially not pretty girls like you.”

“Flattering,” I said, grinning at the compliment, “But not particularly helpful.”

“Oh c’mon Nikki,” he whined, “You need to de-stress.”

I gnawed on my lip some more, contemplating. Carter was right. I’d spent the last five days going bat shit crazy. Sunday night had been traumatic; drug raids tended to be. Not to mention I’d spent the majority of the night hiding in a tree with a movie star. And then I’d proceeded to get that movie star arrested.

For some reason, I didn’t want to tell anybody about that night, so I hadn’t. But that wasn’t what was driving me crazy. It was the fact that I hadn’t seen Jacen since then. I’d worked every night this week, but Jacen hadn’t walked in once. Given what he’d done for me on Sunday, I was anxious to see him – to thank him, to apologize, something.

But no such luck. The only place I’d seen him was on the cover of some trashy tabloid at the supermarket. It was a picture of him leaving the police station with Rosalyn Summers. Obviously, that had only served to make me feel worse.

“So,” Carter persisted when I didn’t respond, “You coming or what?”

I still didn’t answer. I really wanted to go out and have some fun, get my mind off the whole Jacen thing. But I really couldn’t afford to miss work. It wasn’t just college – it was bills and groceries and just everything.

But . . . I could make all that money back if I brought my stash with me. I’d never been in a club before, but I’d be willing to bet I could pedal a ton of shit there. I mean, c’mon, it was a club. I could make way more there than I would during one shift. And I could have some fun. Win win.

“Alright,” I finally consented.

Carter grinned at me. “I knew you’d given in eventually. Now c’mon, hop in the truck.”

“Not yet,” I told him, “School’s not over for another twenty minutes.”

He peered around me, glancing at the carefree scene around us. “It looks about over to me.”

“Well yeah but I’m not allowed to just . . . leave.”

He snorted. “Oh don’t be such a goodie goodie Nicks. Nobody’s going to notice if you leave.”

“And what if they do?” I challenged.

He smirked suggestively whilst waggling his eyebrows at me. “Well then we’ll just tell them I’m your Daddy.”

I giggled. “Ew! You’re so gross Carter,” I told him, jumping down from the truck. I laughed some more as I headed back over to the tree and grabbed my bag and my book. Slinging my bag over my shoulder I jogged back over to the truck, hopping not to attract too much attention. I wasn’t too worried about getting in trouble, but I’d rather not.

I climbed up into the passenger seat of the truck. With a triumphant howl befitting of any hillbilly, Carter started his engines and took off. I hooted with laughter as we drove and turned the radio up as soon as I realized that it was Bob Seger’s Old Time Rock And Roll.