Skittles And Dragons

Nikki's POV

“Where are you going?”

Mascara brush hovering just centimeters from my eye, I cast my gaze towards the bathroom door, where my little brother was hovering like a phantom. Arms crossed over his Jets’ jersey clad chest, he would appear stern and unyielding to an outsider. But I knew him, and knew he was easier to sway than a branch in the breeze.

“Out,” I said, resuming the process of elongating my eyelashes.

“It’s a Sunday night,” he pointed out.

“I don’t suppose you know what year it is too,” I teased, laughing extra lightly to keep from poking myself in the eye with my mascara brush.

“Funny,” he said, twisting his features into a brief sneer.

“Yeah. I write my own material you know.”

He ignored my further attempts at a joke and got down to the point. “Where are you going so late on a school night?”

“None of your business Joey,” I informed him, putting down my mascara brush with a little extra force then necessary. He was always prying into my personal life; it was such a bother. You’d think he was my older brother with all his protective nonsense.

“You don’t . . . have a date or something?” he asked, fidgeting a little.

My features softened as I took pity on him. Yes, I often found his overprotective behavior silly and vexing, but at times – it was kind of adorable. He was just trying to be the man of the house, since our own father could care less if his daughter shacked up with random guys. Now don’t get me wrong; I loved my dad, but that didn’t mean he was a responsible parent.

“No,” I said lightly, picking up my lip gloss, “I don’t have a date.”

His expression lightened a little at that. “Well then where are you going?”

I didn’t respond right away; taking the time to smear the gooey, sparkly pink stuff on my lips. “Don’t worry about it Joey,” I said, making a smacking sound with my lips.

“But -,” he began.

“Just relax for once,” I told him, turning my attention away from the mirror to face him head on, “Okay? I’m just going out for a little while – I’ll be back in a few hours.”

He took my advice, miraculously, and his facial expression smoothed out just a bit. “Okay . . . But what are Alex and I supposed to do for dinner?” he asked, his tone taking on a petulant edge.

I preferred his whining to his worrying, so I didn’t mind.

“There should be some leftovers from last night in the fridge,” I said, “Heat those up.”

He sighed. “Okay.”

“Good,” I said, “And do something with Alex while I’m gone okay? Watch a movie with him – but nothing scary.”

He sighed again. “Alright. We’ll watch Bedtime Stories or something.”

I smiled. That movie had long sense been in the record books as Alex’s favorite movie. “You’re a good brother, you know?” I said, ruffling his hair because he was too tall for me to kiss on the forehead like I used to.

He made a face. “You do more for him than I do.”

True. But if we were listing my caregiving accomplishments, it would also be vital to point out that I practically raised both him and Alex, but I figured Joey already knew that. “I’m the oldest,” I said, “It’s my job to take care of you guys.”