Part 37

Gernick waited at his home. He called his siblings and his cousin Krill to meet him there. They needed to talk. The situation involved mainly his children's and Krill, but all of the kids would be affected. Garrick, Shari, and Ava appeared before any of the others arrived. Gernick and Garrick shared a look. Ava rushed to Amie. The two girls were close.

Next Cantar, Corliss, and Christiana arrived. It had been so long since Cantar had visited. Everyone greeted her and Corliss eagerly. The children rushed over to hug their aunt. They were so excited to seen their cousin Christiana. Christiana smiled at her relatives and was glad to finally visit with them as well. Cantar held her daughter close at first, and then released her.

At eleven, Christiana was as beautiful as her mother. Garrick smiled. She was an exact replica of Cantar at that age. Mother was often keeping her close to her side as well. When they were younger, Esmeralda was a great mother. But something changed. Garrick's thoughts turned dark. Shari caressed his shoulders, pulling him from his somber mood. He looked at his siblings, their spouses, and children. Despite everything they had faced. They were OK. He was happy. Cantar was a great mother.

Corliss stood beside his daughter ready to defend his family against any foe. Garrick was impressed with him. Corliss was a hard worker and he loved Cantar and his daughter. He was not a fighter, but Garrick knew he'd defend his family, all of his family. Corliss sighed as he moved to greet his brother-in-laws. Gernick could tell this proclamation had taken its toll on the quiet man. It was hard traveling here because once they explained to the grandparents and his brother what was going on. Christophe was incensed. All three wanted to accompany them. Christiana was not being sent to Russia.

The small group chatted as Krill, Samaria and their children appeared. The children greeted each other as Nickie noticed fundamental differences in their makeup. Their children that carried the wolf genes were friendly, affectionate. The vampire children, like their predecessors were standoffish. She wanted to speak, but she was torn. Were they wrong? Should she and Nina have just died? Then this problem would not exist.

Kale, Brenwan, and Kalen arrived next. Kalen, like his father, was the deep thinker in the group. He greeted his family members coolly. He looked so much like Kale and had his father's mannerism almost exactly. He did smile when he greeted his aunt. Cantar was always able to draw a smile from him. Kalen then greeted Christiana. Christiana didn't visit as often, so she was not as in tune with the rest of the children. Jonathon took her hand and escorted her and Kalen over to game room where the others were waiting. At first, they were silent and then noise erupted as the children interacted as though no distance had existed between them at all.

Nicolette asked two of the maids to watch them as the adults met in the library. As she returned to the library, Gernick could sense her thoughts. He didn't like it. Nicolette, never think such dark thoughts again. You are my life and I would be lost without you. The wolves are our family. This is just a small problem. We will fix this. Gernick sent. He was worried. Nicolette had stopped talking. He could only sense her thoughts and lately they were dark. She was not herself. He knew she was torn. Her natural instinct would be to kill whoever hurt her family, only this time it was her wolf family that inflicted the pain. She could not hurt them. She internalized, finding a way to blame herself.

Shari greeted her with a warm hug, as did Brenwan and Cantar. All three women knew she had to be conflicted. They were also, but she was so close to the wolves. Shari smiled and took a deep breath. "Nickie, we will figure something out, ok." Shari whispered. She more than anyone else knew how hard this turn of events was on Nickie.

"They attacked my son, and now he wants to go away. I don't know what to think about that." Nickie whispered. Shari, Cantar, and Brenwan stood with her. Soon Gernick, stopped talking with his brothers and called everyone together.