Chapter 5

Room 407.

From the outside, it might appear to be ordinary, just like any other room on this floor. It had the usual mahogany door, decorated with the standard number plate used for the sign. The off-white background of the hall seemed to be the same, too. Even the doorknob had the identical circular metal that you'd find in just about any other room in this building. But if you would look closely, the door was particularly showing an invisible sign, Beware!

Maybe they used an invisible ink to conceal the sign, particularly from the current occupant himself, but revealed the secret to everyone else. The other seniors had approached me about this at least three times during dinner earlier tonight.

Fortunately, Jayden and I were able to grab some food after almost an hour of waiting for the other students to finish harassing the canteen staff. Aside from the obvious gay warnings, the others had mentioned some other things, making KN someone who would pounce or shoot me dead out of the blue.

I hadn't seen KN during dinner, though. Jayden had mentioned that he usually skipped dinners and there were rumors he was eating alone in his room. Or rather, our room. This would be the set-up from now on. I had completely tossed aside the thought of transferring to another room, specifically Daniel's. That would be one insane idea, knowing what was behind these baggy clothes that I was wearing, and the danger of Daniel's sleepwalking, notably, to someone else's bed.

Daniel was definitely out of the picture.

As I was standing outside the door, I wondered if I should knock. Technically speaking, it was now my room, too. But for the sake of at least having some peaceful roommate relationship between me and KN, I knocked.

Twice. Thrice. A couple more times.

No one answered, except for the occupant of the room next door, who courteously told me he might not be around. Of course, I didn't have to be a genius to realize that no one was inside. I was just hesitant. KN did stare at my face a moment ago.

So, taking a deep breath, I grabbed the key from my pocket and slid it into the hole. Thud. The door unlocked. I took in another mouthful of air. I knew that whatever I'd do for the next few days would all be heading to oblivion, anyway. What was another event to start it all? Everything had to begin at some point.

To oblivion, and something a little after that. But just a little!

Pushing the door open, with all due courage needed, I found no one inside. It was dark, so I pressed the light switch on, locating it beside the doorpost. A room with a bunk bed on my left and a couple of study desks on the other greeted me.

Looking around, my eyes landed on the bed. Obviously, KN occupied the one below, since it was the one that seemed to be used. The covers were all over the place, and one pillow was barely holding its place in between the end of the bed and midair. What ever happened to tidiness?

Tossing back his pillow to the bed and ending its misery, I looked around the room some more. It was big enough to hold two people inside. I put my luggage beside the bed and started walking around. The bathroom was nice, but it was smaller compared to what I'd expected.

I went back to our room. There were papers all over KN's desk. I unzipped my bag and placed some of my things on my desk as well, still wondering where KN went. It was almost nine, and he wasn't back yet.

Well, if he was sleeping somewhere else, that would be okay. But it couldn't be possible. Regardless, he could camp out all he liked, and I wouldn't mind. In fact, I'd be so grateful.

After tidying my desk, I put all my clothes in my closet and made sure that I safely hid my personal belongings underneath a pile of shirts. I even prepared fake undies, just in case there would be an underwear inspection or things like that. You'd never know what could happen in a boys' dormitory. I was so proud of myself for preparing well for this endeavor.