Prologue

"W-why hasn't... IT... come f-for Cameron yet, t-though?" Bill questioned, not intending to sound insensitive. He was genuinely curious. 

" Oh c'mon!" Richie yelled exasperated as if the answer was obvious. " It's fucking Cameron Goodwill!" He emphasized her name, like doing so would clear up the confusion. " She's the ballsiest out of all of us! And she's a SHE. " He elaborated. " She probably has NO fears. " The boy ended his little spiel as he draped his arm around the seemingly dazed girl's shoulders.

" Yeah! " Ben agreed enthusiastically, hugging Cameron's free side.

" That's not possible. " Eddie immediately shut down the trashmouth's claim.  " It's true. " Stan sided with the hypochondriac. Mike nodded as well. " Everyone has fears. " He explained.

" So what's Camie's fear then? " Beverly asked the three opposers, fully believing that the only other girl in the group was in fact, fearless. 

No words were uttered for a few moments because no one had an answer to the question posed. 

Cameron closed her eyes, enjoying the tranquility.

Beverly was ready to say the words 'I told you so'

That was until Camie spoke up, deciding to break the serene atmosphere by replying to the unanswered question. 

" Imperfection. " She said, tone barely above a whisper.  

Her companions looked at her in surprise, but she kept her gaze on the water just a few feet away from where she sat. As the sun shone, the water sparkled. Unlike her eyes, which turned dull at the sudden questioning of her bravery.

She was not brave. 

Not even close.

 " C-Cameron? " Bill called in concern. 

" Imperfection. " She repeated, voice cutting through the silence. " That's what I'm afraid of. Not being enough... Not being good enough, not smart enough, not pretty enough... " she trailed off. 

" Well, that's a stupid fear. " Richie chuckled. 

" I think so too " She glanced at her unfiltered friend. "But I also think it's one of the worst fears a person could ever have. "