Chapter One: The Letter

Start from the beginning

After washing my hair and cleaning myself, I turn off the water and step out of the shower. I dry off and walk to my room and throw on some pajamas and walk straight to my bed. I slip under the dark red duvet and close my eyes. I feel at peace, I gave him the letter, I gave him my goodbye, and now I can move on.

Niall’s POV

I cannot believe I just saw Kat here. I didn’t think I’d ever see her again, I mean I might have, but I just can’t believe it. In my hands is a letter, and even though I know I will read it whether I want to or not, I’m scared of what it says. I slip it in my back pocket and glance at the guys who are all staring at me.

“I’ll tell you after,” I say to them. They all nod and then we go back to signing autographs, though I’m not as into it as I was before. I guess I feel, sad now as I think back on the friendship we have, or had. Spending the next three hours signing autographs is absolute hell for me. I wish that it was over and I could just go back to our flat, go into my room where I can be alone and read the letter.

After what seems like years, we sign the last autograph stand up and wave and say our goodbyes, and then we are hustled towards the back of the mall where our car is waiting for us. We are ushered towards our cars and then put inside and made sure that we are safe and unharmed. After we are deemed okay, we are driven home.

“Wasn’t that the girl from the photo in your room?” Zayn asks me. I guess they have seen that picture before. I didn’t realize that people would notice it.

“Um… Yeah, that was. My best friend,” I murmur sadly.

“I knew she looked familiar! She’s a real pretty one, is she your girlfriend?” Harry asks me.

“No,” I answer flatly. Harry gets the message and stops talking though Liam scoots over towards me.

“She gave you something, I saw. What was it?” He asks me. I’ve told Liam about her once. I told him how she was my best friend in the whole world and the one person I could go to with anything no matter how stupid it was.

“A letter,” I answer simply. All of a sudden, the letter in my back pocket weighs about a million pounds.

“Did you read it yet?” He asks.

“Nope, I think I’ll read it in my room.” I reply. The rest of the ride home is in silence while we either text, go on Twitter, stare at our hands, or go through some of our gifts. But for me, I just sit and try to imagine what’s on that letter. Maybe it’s a letter of saying how much she hates me. That’s what would make the most sense, but who knows. Kat always surprised me.

Once we arrive at our flat and we’re all ushered inside, I don’t go directly to the fridge like I usually would. Instead I rush into my room and go to my wall and pull off the picture that I’ve always kept of her.

The picture is of us when we were fifteen and it was my birthday. I was wearing a crown atop my head that she made for me out of ribbons and sticks. She was smiling next to me with her black hair falling in waves down her shoulders and her beautiful blue-green eyes staring at the camera. We were both in mid-laugh and she looked so god damned beautiful. She was always beautiful, with the face of an angel and a goddess put together, and beautiful olive skin.

I pin the picture back on my wall and I go to sit on my bed and pull the letter out my pocket. It’s neatly folded and has her neat handwriting written on the front. Niall, it reads. I set the letter on my leg and I’m about to open it when Liam walks in.

“Hey, are you okay?” He asks me. He can probably see it in my eyes that I’m dreading reading this letter.

“Yeah, never been better.” I lie.