;0

Al wasn't entirely sure how to react to what Ed just told him. Apparently he and Mustang got into another argument, no surprise there really. But what concerned Al was the bet. The colonel, evidently, told Ed he needed to go rest awhile before he'd give him the next lead on the philosopher's stone. they just got back and Ed was pretty bruised up and Ed, somehow spiraled the whole conversation (more like yelling match) into a bet. 

"Whoever sleeps first loses, simple." Ed summed up. 

"brother... That's... a really stupid bet." Al deadpanned. 

"what? No it isn't! If I win Al, Colonel useless has to hand over the next lead." Ed replied, offended slightly. 

"brother you fall asleep at the office all the time writing your reports... I don't think you've the best shot at winning." Al sighed gently. "and besides, what happens if you lose?" 

"....I have to take a month off of research, and clean up the office." Ed said. 

"Brother you dummy!! A month!? Why couldn't you just do what he said and recover?" Al groaned, honestly Ed was as thick as a rock sometimes. 

"hey! I'm not dumb! I'm gonna win this easily! Just watch!" Ed said, far too cocky for Al to actually take comfort in.

DAY 1: 

It had been a long night, Al has the job of monitoring Ed and keeping the bet fair. Hawkeye, monitored Mustang. If either fell asleep, their monitor would inform the others and the bet would be over. 

entering the office to edit his report that was "too sloppy to read" Ed flopped into his seat, seated next to Fury who was currently messing with the radio. Sporting circles under his eyes, Ed took a deep breath and began to revise his report. 

At the center end of the room Mustang was signing documents and working. He was used to all nighters, but he was starting to wonder who'd crack first. He glanced up over to where his subordinates were working just in time to see Ed jerk his head up and huff. Mustang smirked, he was confident he'd be winning and his office would be nice and clean. Plus, he wouldn't have to deal with any catastrophes since FullMetal would be on leave.  

Ed blinked a few times, it was evening now and the words on his work were all blending together. He decided to finish the report tomorrow. Collecting his things Ed sighed and said his good-byes to all those in the office before heading to the library to collect Al.

"oh brother..." Al said sounding a bit worried.

"c'mon Al, you can tell me if you found anything once we get back to our hotel kay?" Ed said, shrugging off Al's tone. 

"...right, ok let's go then.." 

Ed almost crashed that night. If he hadn't tilted his chair back and fallen backwards, which by the way almost gave him a stroke from scaring the crap out of him, he would've fallen asleep. He couldn't sit down without his head starting to bob, so he paced. He walked around the room, did some stretches while Al quizzed him on alchemy and the periodic table. he would not lose. 

Mustang, just chilled at the bar with Hawkeye who was chatting with some friends. He was used to staying up for long stretches, he was a busy man and a haunted one at that. If he started to feel drowsy, he'd just call Hughes and have the man blab into his ear about his family. It never failed to irk him. 

DAY 3: 

Ed was in a downright sour mood. He was snappy and crabby to anyone who dared approach him. His lips were glued into a frown and the circles under his eyes had turned a lovely shade of purple. He kicked open the office door, not caring he caused his crew mates to jump.