Chapter Two

As soon as they drove off towards the Avengers compound after leaving the hospital, Peter had fallen asleep in the car. Tony smiled at the sleeping teen, and he hadn't noticed Happy watching them from the rearview mirror.

"He's had a rough day, hasn't he?"

Tony nodded. "Yeah. The poor kid. He needs the rest."

"So how long do you think he's going to be staying with you?"

Tony shook his head. "I don't know. As long as he needs. I mean, his high school is pretty far away from the compound, but he'll have to go back eventually after he's done grieving. This is a really weird case; the kid has no family left. His parents died when he was little, and his uncle, and now his aunt... I just can't imagine what he's going through."

Happy frowned. "He's had it rough. He's lucky to have you. You're a good guy, Tony."

Tony smiled and shut his eyes, hoping to nap for a bit before arriving at the compound. He hadn't noticed himself dozing off until he woke with a start as the car came to a sudden stop.

"We're here, boss."

Tony groaned and stretched his arms, looking over to the still-sleeping Peter.

"He's been out this whole time?"

Happy nodded. "Yeah. He hasn't stirred."

As much as he hated to, Tony shook the kid's shoulder a bit. "Hey Pete, we're here. Time to wake up."

Peter jumped up, causing Tony to move back, startled.

"W-where am I?"

"Relax kid, we're at the Avengers compound, remember?"

Peter frowned. "Oh yeah." He must've just been dreaming about him and Aunt May sitting at home, eating popcorn and watching Empire Strikes Back on the couch... Though he wished it was real.

"C'mon kid. Let's go inside."

Happy grabbed Peter's bag from the trunk, ready to carry it inside when Peter stopped him. "I can do it, Happy."

"You sure kid?"

"Yeah."

"Alright." Happy said handing Peter over the small bag.

Tony led the way inside, Happy following closely behind them. "So as I mentioned last time, I believe your room is next to Vision's... I don't even see why he needs a room; to be honest I don't think he even sleeps. Whatever, not important. Anyways, I'll show you upstairs. It's late so everyone's probably in bed."

"I'm sorry, but who exactly is 'everyone', Mr. Stark?"

"Well, y'know... Like the Avengers. Natasha, Bruce, Vision, Rhodey, Steve-"

Peter stopped in his tracks. "Wait, Steve as in Steve Rogers? Like Captain America? The war criminal?"

"Uh, yeah. That's him."

"I don't understand, I thought you two weren't speaking after what happened."

Tony chucked. "A lot's happened in the past few months. There's still a bit of tension, but c'mon, we're the Avengers- we stick together."

Peter just nodded, pretending to understand as he followed Tony towards the elevator. As they made their way down the end of the hallway Peter was startled by a sudden presence. A young woman, probably in her mid-twenties stepped out. Peter recognized her right away as the witch lady from the airport battle in Germany. He almost wanted to run, remembering what she was capable of, but didn't as he was reminded of Tony saying how the Avengers 'stick together'.