Chapter 30 ~ Assistance

Start from the beginning

Her eyelids fluttered and she moaned before tossing her head back and forth. Rowan pulled his hands out of her strong grip and she came out of whatever she had been experiencing. She seemed disoriented but soon remembered what had been happening previously. She shakily made her way back to her seat and collapsed into it. Rowan waited for her to say something but she just sat there gazing at him.

“Can you help me or not?” he prompted not likely how much time he was wasting on the conversation. Arabella’s life was at stake.

“In the end the only person that can help you is you,” she answered cryptically. Her hazel eyes were full of amusement at the fact that she was teasing him at his expense. “I could tell you what I know but I think you’ll find that in time it won’t matter very much. The near future is already sealed.”

“What does that even mean? How is what you just said supposed to help me?” Rowan inquired. The woman chuckled. She stood up from her seat and picked up the candle. She started to move away to the fireplace. “Where are you going? What did you see? You haven’t helped me at all!” when she said nothing Rowan groaned and opened the door to leave the unhelpful woman with rumors of physic abilities. She was just faking. “Thanks for wasting my time.”

“I know you think I am not what I say I am but the truth is that I can’t help you because I wouldn’t make any difference,” she called after him. “You should be careful; I can sense that you will experience something horrible if you don’t watch out.”

Rowan slammed the door behind him muttering under his breath in anger. Nothing would happen to him. She just enjoyed fooling him; well he wasn’t going to fall for it. He didn’t have the time to dwell on the psychic’s cryptic words and figure them out. He had someone to find, before it was too late.

He untied Pearl’s reins and mounted his horse. He did think he would find any answers in this village. The so called psychic woman had been the only person near enough that he believed could possibly help him. Now he had a long journey ahead just to talk to the only other person he knew that might know where Arabella’s father was.

He made Pearl start galloping out of the village and rubbed his eyes willing himself to remain awake. He had barely slept the last night and he didn’t have time for sleep now. He could sleep when this crisis was averted and Arabella was in his arms, safe and sound, not as she was now, alone and in a cell in the castle dungeon.

He didn’t stop to rest often even though he felt bad for pushing Pearl so hard but there had never been a more urgent time than this. He sighed in relief when he spotted a house on a hill. He had been riding for a while without seeing any other houses and there was a reason the person that lived in the one story house on the hill wanted to be alone.

He dismounted and tied Pearl up beside a tree so she could graze. He stroked her muzzle a few times silently apologizing for the way he was treating her. After he walked up to the house taking in the appearance of the house he hadn’t visited for the longest time.

He ran his fingers over the stone walls of the house and eyed the roof noting that there it was looking thin in some places. It needed some repairs or it would start leaking, if it wasn’t already. He thought back to all the memories he had about the time spent in this house and partially wished that things would have been different, that his family could have been normal andspend their lives in a home instead of hunting werewolves.

When they weren’t really well known for killing werewolves they spent their excess time at this lonely house on the hill. However all that changed when word got around by them and their services were requested more often. Visits to the family home happened less and less often until they didn’t visit at all.