[2] What's that sound, Anna?

Start from the beginning

It's okay, Anna. It's only six in the evening. Everybody's still awake. If anything happens, you can just scream.. It's not even that dark..

After what seemed like hours, I reached the end of the hall and headed down the stairs, and into the parlor. In the day, it looks like any old, ordinary room. But at night, it looks like the pictures in horror novels. Dark room, chandelier hanging from the ceiling, scary piano in the middle of the floor.. I shuddered. Maybe it was time to turn the lights on and end this nightmare. But before I could, a soft creaking noise came from the kitchen.

Oh my goodness. Is this some kind of joke, Alexander? Now you're going to try and scare me? Great plan.

I left my things on the parlor floor, and opened the door. My hand immediately went to the wall on my left side, and the lights flickered on right as I turned the knob on the switch. "Alexander, seri--"

But the person standing in front of me wasn't Alexander at all. He was a dirty young man, around my age, and the look he was giving me was the same one I was giving him. Despite the shock and confusion, I couldn't help but notice the bright blueish green color of his eyes. Fortunately, I managed a cracked, "W-Who are you?"

He held his hands up, revealing a few cuts and bruises. Some were bleeding, and although I knew that I should've been scared to death, I pitied him. "I'm not going to hurt you, I promise."

I looked straight into his eyes, trying to look as intimidating as Alexander had earlier. "You didn't answer my question."

He opened his mouth, but no sound came out. The longer the silence went on, the more fearful I became. 

Then, I screamed.

"FATHER!"

The panic grew in his eyes, and he turned to run away. I ran towards him, and grabbed his wrist before he could. "No," I said, sounding more confident than I felt. "You do not run away."

It was only a few seconds before my entire family came rushing down to help me. I had only called for Father, but I guess they all got worried. I turned to face them, but they weren't looking at me. "He wouldn't answer me when I asked him who he was."

But mother ignored my question. Like Alexander, she had played a role in the war, but unlike him, she had been a nurse. She was a healer, and her instinct told her to pay attention to wounds. This was one of the many times that she had decided to listen. 

"Oh, you poor dear!" She approached us quickly, her gentle hands fluttering over his cuts. "What happened to you?" She then turned to me, a look of accusation adorning her face. "Did you do this?"

It was then that Father chose to speak. He was a quiet man, and although he was very intelligent, he only said something when he felt like it needed to be said. "Maria, now is not the time to get distracted. There is a strange man in our house, and I am very interested in knowing why he is here."

Father turned to the boy with the same intimidating look that I'd gotten earlier. Darn, was I the only one who didn't know how to do that? The boy could barely look at Father's face as he stuttered, "T-the pa- paper.."

Mother let go of his arm, clapping her hands excitedly. "Oh, joy!" she said, grinning at us. Why was she so happy? "That advertisement had only been run in the paper once, but we've already gotten an answer!" She looked at him again, then frowned slightly. "But you are a man. Male domestic helpers cost more in wages, and though I'm sure that you would like a larger pay than what we offered, we simply do not wish to pay more."

The boy shook his head quickly. "No, ma'm, I wouldn't ask for a larger pay. I'm willing to work for only half your offer, should you provide me with room and board."

The smile returned to Mother's face. "Of course, of course!" She looked at Father, her eyes brimming with delight. "We've already got the attic prepared for you." She took them both by the hand, leading them both upstairs and leaving my brother and I in the kitchen. As they walked, we could hear her saying, "Come now, come, let's get these wounds treated and we'll discuss your workload."

Alexander nudged me with his elbow. "Well, he's a cute little fellow, isn't he, Anna?"

-------------------

Author's note;

Omigosh, the new chapter's up! This should feel a little different from the first chapter, since it's from Anna's point of view. Anna's not as secure as Benjamin, and she's just a little more prissy, so I tried to make the chapter feel like that. But I hope that it doesn't stop you Benjamin-lovers from reading! He's coming up next <3 

 This chapter has been dedicated to ZACHROCK, for being giving me my first comment, read and vote! Thank you so much~