Chapter 5 - Partners

Start from the beginning

She felt her heart melt a little at his confession. “Thank you, Max. You really didn’t have to.”

“It’s no big deal, Em. Just thought you could use a pick-me-up.”

“Well, it’s really thoughtful…so thank you.”

“It’s just a Snickers bar, but you’re welcome. Are you gonna have that anytime soon or are you going to make me steal it back?” he said nudging her.

“Don’t you dare go anywhere near my chocolate,” she said unwrapping the bar and taking a big bite.

Max just laughed and continued working on the presentation. “I was thinking we could put something funny on the last slide, like a random picture of a raccoon or something.”

“A raccoon?”

“Why not? They’re funny. People laugh every time. Guaranteed.”

“Don’t people usually just put their student picture on there?”

“I don’t know about yours, but mine is pretty horrendous. I’d rather put a picture of something else.”

“Yeah, me too. But a raccoon? It’s a bit strange.”

“Tell you what. We can put a picture of us and the raccoon can go on the side. What do you say?”

“Where are we gonna get a picture that has both of us in it?”

“I’ll take one right now. I’m a selfie master,” he said getting his phone out.

“I probably have chocolate all over my teeth,” she said finishing the last of the Snickers.

“Well, there’s only one way to find out.” He grabbed her chin and squished her cheeks together, forcing her to open her mouth.

“Max, cut it out,” she said laughing and trying to swat his hand away.

“I’m doing this for your own good… and the benefit of the picture. Just smile for me.”

“No way.”

“So you don’t like smiling?”

“No,” she said stubbornly and crossed her arms.

“You smile all the time. C’mon it’ll just take two seconds.”

“Max, this is really embarrassing.”

“I’m not letting go of you until you smile.”

“I probably look like an idiot right now,” she said looking down.

“You look beautiful, as always. Trust me,” he said in an almost whisper.

She let out a sigh when she met his deep hazel eyes again. They were filled with so much honesty and endearment, she couldn’t help but smile.

“See, that wasn’t so bad, was it?” he said, finally dropping his hold of her chin.

“So do I have anything?” she asked with flushed cheeks.

“No, you were good since the beginning,” he stated nonchalantly.

She gasped at him and then punched him in the arm. “I hope you’re enjoying this.”

“As a matter of fact, yes I am. Very much so,” he said pulling her chair close to his and wrapping his arm around her shoulder. He grabbed his phone with his free hand and angled it to take a picture. “Smile.”

She barely registered the flash and then he was showing her the picture all of a sudden. “Damn, we look good,” he said proudly.

She looked at the picture more closely. At first she thought he was joking but he was right, they did look good. Even more so, they looked good together. But that was something she wasn’t going to admit.