Prolouge

There was a woman I knew once. She was bright and intelligent and witty; but she was also strange, and a bit odd. Not in the way the most people are odd, but in the way that almost made no sense in our world, or more specifically, our time.

It was like she wasn't in the right place ever. Like how when you go into a room that is usually filled with people and noise, then suddenly it's not. The reality around her was slightly warped. For the short time I knew her, she never stood still. She was either walking or running or tapping or writing. I never really did know why she was so busy all the time, I suppose I never asked.

Whenever I would ask for her name, she would always ignore the question, but I remember vividly the one time she did answer it. We had been sitting in my father's office, with her sitting at the desk writing–something, I never knew what– and me just sort of, standing there. For whatever reason, I thought that right then would be the best time to ask her. So I did, and she looked up from her writing and just stared at me. Then, after about a minute or so, she goes, "Do you ever sit in a completely silent room and start to hear music? It's not coming from outside or inside or anywhere, and for a long while you think it's just in your head, but you know, you know it's not. Do you ever get that Lily?" And so I just nod, because I have, then she smiles and says, "I'm that."
-
An excerpt from Lilian (Lily) Forephox's diary, dated: June 18, 2013.