Chapter eight: The Farm

En başından başla

I walked around the perimeter of the farm, and at every corner, I placed down a torch. The torches would help the crops grow during the night, but it would also help keep the mobs from spawning so close. There were two rows of farmland, each two blocks wide and seven long, and in between both was a small trench three blocks long and one wide. I pulled out the water bucket I had and dumped its contents into the trench, instantly creating a water source for the farms. I then pulled out the wheat seeds I had and began to fill the farms with seeds.

I sort of squashed the seeds into the dirt, totally ungracefully and almost pathetically but I guess the game knew what I was trying to do and it sort of took the seeds from my hands and planted them into the dirt. Ok. That's a start. I thought, and just as I did, I caught whiff of something foul on the air.

And then I heard a moan.

Aw crap. Not again... I drew my stone sword and my eyes swept over the darkening terrain. Even in the diminishing light, I could make out the silhouettes of entities somewhat well. And when my gaze swept over a small section of trees, I finally saw it. No, not it. THEM. Three zombies. Heading right towards me.

"Aw (add expletive of choice here)!" I said, realizing that this was gonna be no easy battle, but it should be doable thanks to my battle skills. My cocky-ness got the best of me when I thought, Three on one? They shoulda sent four. The zombies were about halfway between me and the forest when I closed my eyes and slowed my breathing, listening to everything around me. The gentle wind, the moaning, my heart thumping in my chest and...

... something tapping on glass?

I opened my eyes and looked back at the house and through a 2x3 picture window and saw my friends all gathered around it, pointing at the approaching abominations and looking absolutely worried.

I smirked cockily at my friends, then turned to face the approaching zombies, then charged at them valiantly.

I ran forward - towards the zombies - and as I did, I started screaming at the top of my lungs, trying to boost my fear factor.
It worked.
The three zombies paused and hesitated ever so slightly, but then continued limping/shambling toward me on a collision course. I was now about a dozen blocks away from them, but I kept running forward. The zombies looked like the were ready to slaughter me.
9 blocks...
I could see their black, dead eyes focused directly on me, hungry for violence and flesh.
Five blocks...
The  combined stench from the Undead before me was so powerful I almost gagged. Almost.
Two blocks... NOW!
Time seemed to slow down as I leapt as forcefully into the air as possible, brought my sword up over head high, and at the top of my arc, I then swung my sword down with lethal force just as I began to fall.
My stone blade impacted with the first zombie about a second before my feet hit the ground, and it hit him so hard it knocked him backwards and right off his feet. I ALMOST felt sorry for him.
My feet landed on the ground and I immediately spun to my left and fell on the second zombie, sword swinging in lethal arcs. 4 hits and he has nothing but a cloud of smoke and 3 experience balls. The third zombie nearly managed to tackle me to the ground as I was so focused on the second zombie, the third had a chance to sneak up on me.
I saw him at the last second out of the corner of my eye and I managed to roll to my left, easily avoiding the zombie's attack and I sprung back to my feet and lunged at the zombie. I swung my sword and landed a blow on the zombie, momentarily stunning him.

SLASH!!

Out of nowhere, a sudden and violent pain exploded on my back, so violent that I screamed at the pain, but running on instinct and adrenaline I lashed out with my left leg in a sort of reverse roundhouse kick that - to my surprise - actually hit home. And by home I mean the first zombie's shoulder, and the kick caught him off guard and threw him off-balance.
That was his last mistake.