you ain't ever gonna fly

Start from the beginning

"Yes." Rio says softly, staring into his mother's angry eyes. She holds his gaze for a few seconds before tearing away from him, stomping out of the room and answering a phone call.

His stylists leave two options on his bed for him, and then they walk out. Rio turns to look at them, sighing as he he drops his robe and gets dressed.

He wouldn't let the cop get away without thanking him personally.

•••

Two hours later, Aiden pulls up to the press conference in his police car. There are already plenty of reporters and paparazzi gathered outside, talking noisily, anxiously awaiting Rio to take to the podium. All hoping for something juicy.

Aiden gets out, and his father's cars pulls up alongside him. James steps out of the car, smiling at Aiden.

"This is a good thing, son." James says, closing his door and falling into step alongside Aiden as they make their way to the back. "You're taking your first steps to becoming a hero. That's three lives you've saved."

"Just like you, dad." Aiden says, and even though it may seem like he really means it, he's secretly being sarcastic. There's no one he wants to be less than.

"Well," James says, clapping a hand on his son's back, "you'll never be like me, but try as hard as you can and maybe you can get close."

He smiles at his son, and Aiden returns it, though he has to admit that his father's words sting a little bit. They're nothing new though, his father had always been like this, especially after Aiden's mother had died.

Aiden and James arrive behind the small stage. Aiden looks at sees Rio, smiling brightly as someone brushes makeup over his nose.

"Hey," Rio smiles, his personality much larger than it had been last night, as he walks over to Aiden, waving the woman wielding the makeup brush away from him.

"Hey," Aiden says, smiling back. Even though Rio was all done up, just like he had been on television, even though he's more conservatively dressed now, he still looked breathtakingly beautiful.

"I never got your name, and that's my fault." Rio says, shaking Aiden's hand. Aiden feels the singer's smooth, smaller palm in his own, and they fit perfectly together.

"I'm Aiden Sawyer." Aiden replies.

"It's nice to officially meet you." Rio says. "And to officially thank you. I wasn't myself last night, I'm sorry, and I'm lucky that you were there to help me out of a sticky situation. So, thanks."

A sticky situation? Is that what they were calling a suicide attempt now?

"Um," Aiden says, trailing off for a bit as he loses his train of thought. "Yeah, it's no problem, I was just doing my job. So, are you okay?"

Rio keeps his smile plastered on his face, "Yeah, of course I am."

"Look, I know we don't really know each other, but I'm just worried about you." Aiden says. "I saw what happened, I know you were drunk, but that wasn't something else, too."

Rio's smile falters, but he never loses it. "I'm fine, Aiden. Okay? I was just drunk, I was goofing off, and I slipped. That's all. I know what you're trying to imply, and that's not it."