Chapter Three: In Over My Head

I wake up the next day with today's upcoming activities rolling through my head. Remembering yesterday's conversation, I immediately regret my decision to date two brothers at once. If either of them find out, I'm screwed. And plus, having dinner with their family when we get 'serious' can't happen. Ever. Because that's a recipe for disaster.

I run out to the kitchen and graba  granola bar off of the counter. My mom left a note on the counter, explaining that she's going to visit her friend from college, Carmen, who's in town on business for the week. I recall her mentioning it a few days ago, but I must have pushed it to the back of my mind. Goodness knows I have more important things to worry about. 

I gobble down the granola bar and return to my room. I throw on a sundress that's casual but pretty and flowing. I gently apply some blush and mascara, to give off that innocent look. A quick application of lip gloss and a high ponytail are all I need to finish off the job.

I run out the door and hop in my car, driving to the park as calmly as possible. In reality, my heart is racing. I don't know anything about this guy, except that his dad is rich, and he's major trouble. For all I know, he could be covered in tattoos and smoking cigarettes when I meet him! I don't know what to expect.

I grab my paperback book/decoy from the glove compartment and hop out of the car. It's one o'clock, the time we agreed to meet, and my heart feels like it's going to beat out of my chest. I walk over to the fountain in the middle of the park quickly, and walk around for a few moments. The only teenage guys I see are with their girlfriends or friends. After five minutes, i give up and take a seat o na park bench facing the most popular entrance. 

Before long, I get so bored that I actually start reading the book, and before I know it, I'm on chapter three. When I finally come back to earth, my heart stops when I see the time: one thirty. I jump up and  make a quick lap around the fountain. It's less crowded than before, but still no teenage boys. 

I pull out my phone and call back the father to see what the problem is. He has his phone off. Frustrated, I flip my phone shut and lean back against the cold metal bench.

"Something wrong?" a man asks. He's sitting next to me on the bench, holding an open phone in his hands. I hadn't realized anyone had sat next to me.

"Um, no. Sorry, i'm just... tired."

The guy smiles. He looks about nineteen, maybe twenty, and is very good looking. He's clean-shaven, has on an expensive leather jacket, and designer sunglasses rest on his head as if they were placed for a magazine cover shot. I'm taken aback by his appearance for a moment before I regain my cool.

He smiles at me. "Anything I could help you with? You look a bit stressed."

"I doubt it. Just some problems with my, uh, friend's parents. They're not exactly cooperating."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I was suppossed to meet my friend here, but he didn't show up. So I tried calling his parents to see what's up, but no answer."

"Why would they know?"

"They, uh, set this up. The guy didn't have a phone, so they told him where to meet me."

He gives me a knowing look. "Oh, so this was a blind date?"

My face burns as I answer. "No! I'm tutoring him," I lie smoothly. Or, not so smoothly.

"Sure, tutoring him. I'm sure you've 'tutored' your fair share of guys, right? Why would someone who looks like you need a blind date?"

I smile at the compliment. "I don't. It was my friend's idea."