« chapter two »

Start from the beginning

“So why the fuck are you dressed like a Barbie doll?”

“Shut up,” Rydell hissed, “I’m angry with you.”

“Really?” Luke raised an eyebrow, “Because I’m pretty sure I just saved your pretty little ass back there.”

“You think my ass is pretty?” Rydell batted her eyelashes and clasped her hands together as they got into Luke’s car.

“Just answer my question, Jackson.”

“Shut up and drive, Hemmings,” Rydell smirked as she crawled into the backseat and started pulling stuff out of her backpack.

“What are you –”

“I’m changing!” Rydell yelled, “So don’t look!”

“Oh are you changing into the Rydell I know?” Luke chuckled, his hands sweating over the fact that Rydell was half naked in the back of his car.

His mum was going to kill him.

“Hey Hemmings?” Rydell chuckled. She turned and stuck her underwear covered butt up in the backseat. “Still think I have a cute little ass?”

Luke’s face turned the color of a tomato as Rydell started laughing. She could barely hear him mumbling, “Hate you so much,” as she stuffed a shirt with The Who on it over her head.

“Wait a minute,” Luke said looking back in the rearview mirror, “Are those my underwear?!”

Rydell laughed and slapped the American Apparel band against her hipbone. “You left them at my place after we went swimming and you just wore your swim trunks home. Don’t worry, I’ve washed them. But your underwear are so much more comfier than mine.”

“So you’re wearing them?!” Luke laughed. “Oh my gosh you’re so strange!”

“Hey,” Rydell chuckled, “I look better in your underwear than you do!”

“You do,” Luke whispered before a car behind them honked it’s horn, telling them the light was green and ending their conversation.

As soon as she was changed into a pair of fraying light wash shorts, her combat boots, and the ratty The Who shirt, Rydell climbed back up into the front seat and pulled her wavy hair into a messy ponytail.

“So,” she said, “I’ll be meeting your band mates. Our relationship must be getting serious, huh?”

Luke almost spit out the iced tea he was drinking as they stopped at a red light. He looked over at Rydell, her eyes sparkling with mischeviousness as she pulled her combat boots on. “I …” he cleared his throat.

“Calm down Luke,” Rydell laughed, pulling her Ray Bans from her backpack. “Use your words.”

“Michael, Ashton and Calum.”

“Are?”

“My band mates.”

“Wait, Calum Hood? My school’s football team hates him because he can dribble the ball around them in circles whenever they play.”

“That’s him,” Luke smirked.

“Michael … Michael Clifford? Bright blue hair?”

“It’s black now.”

“Well that’s nice,” Rydell nodded, “I fell off my bike once and he helped me.”

“Yeah he’s not too bad,” Luke nodded, making one final turn onto Michael’s street.

“I don’t know Ashton.”

“You don’t want to know Ashton,” Luke chuckled. “We’re here.”