Till Death Do Us Part

Prologue:

                We don’t choose the family or life we’re dealt with, but we do choose how far our love for them goes.Through the hands of time some grow apart, others grow impossibly close and others remain as they were. Though we grow old and fade, our memories live on because in that moment in time, we just were.

“We have to operate soon or your brother has no chance of surviving,” the doctor informs with a blank expression on his face. I look down at the white sheets that cover my brother’s body and a tear glides down my cheek. Why, why did this have to happen to him?

                “When can you do it?” I wipe the trail of tears from my face and look up at the middle aged doctor. He adjusts the glasses on his face before answering my question.

                “The operation is quite costly and you will need to pay at least ten percent in advance,” he begins and I feel my heart drop to my stomach. I can’t let my brother die, he’s all I have left, the longing to see his green eyes light up with joy, too strong for me to just give up. “We do, however, have a program that allows various cases to be presented to the hospital board for the operation to be paid in full. Sadly, only three cases can be approved but I’m going to recommend your brother’s case to them, I think he has a very good chance for him to be approved,” he finishes. I smile up at him in gratitude, if they approve he can be okay. He’ll be okay.

                “Thank you so much,” I grab my brother’s limp hand and beam at the doctor before looking at my brother’s solemn face. No expression but that of one who sleeps, his lashes don’t even flutter against his hollow cheeks.

                “Don’t thank me yet, like I said this has to be approved by the board, especially Roman Ferrar, the head chair,” the doctor states. I nod but already hope flows through my being. The doctor leaves shortly after and I stay behind, glued to the cold plastic chair I’ve inhabited these last few weeks.

                “I’ll do anything I have to, to save you,” I whisper in the quiet room before kissing my brother’s hand. I smile faintly as I feel the rough callouses he got from playing sports, something he loves. I talk to him about nothing and anything, hoping that his comatose state allows him to hear me, for him to know he’s not alone. After a while I head over to the cafeteria for a crappy cup of coffee, but I refuse to go somewhere else to indulge, not when my brother lays just a few rooms away. I won’t leave him, I can’t.

                “Oof,” so into my thinking I didn’t see the body heading in my direction, causing me to collide with it and spill the coffee all over myself. “I’m so sorry,” I look up to meet a pair of blue eyes framed by a golden face.

                “You should watch where you’re going,” the man in front of me sneers, waiting for me to move out of his way as if he owns the place. Who in the world wears Armani to a hospital?

                “Didn’t know royalty was coming, forgive me, sire,” I bow, ignoring the coffee stain on my blouse, before heading back into the safety of my brother’s room. I don’t need this right now, not after the seed of happiness I just received. I’ve got to keep my hopes up and pray that a miracle will happen. I walk into the bathroom and try to dry my blouse with the dryer when I hear somebody call my name.

                “Yes,” I walk back out into the room and face the doctor.

                “The board has moved up the meeting, it’s today and you’ll need to make an appearance,” the doctor looks at my stained blouse in confusion.