prologue

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔                                                                                  ❝ ɪ'ᴍ ᴛɪʀᴇᴅ ᴏғ ᴡᴀᴋɪɴɢ ɪɴ ᴛᴇᴀʀs 'ᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ɪ ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ᴘᴜᴛ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇsᴇ ᴘʜᴏʙɪᴀs ᴀɴᴅ ғᴇᴀʀs ❞

  ❝ ɪ'ᴍ ᴛɪʀᴇᴅ ᴏғ ᴡᴀᴋɪɴɢ ɪɴ ᴛᴇᴀʀs 'ᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ɪ ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ᴘᴜᴛ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇsᴇ ᴘʜᴏʙɪᴀs ᴀɴᴅ ғᴇᴀʀs ❞

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

  " man up, you fool! toms are suppose to be brave! "

  the little brown kit shrunk away from his mother, terrified at the rage spreading across the tabby's face, her lips pulled back into a snarl. i'm sorry, momma. i'll be brave next time, i promise! he wanted to tell her, to reassure her that her wishes would be fulfilled as soon as possible,  but he was much too shy to speak up. please, just give me a day, and i'll be as great as the other kits!

  a sharp prod stabbed him in the side, a small squeak of pain erupting from kylan. " do you always look this scared? " étoilé sneered, green eyes staring at her eldest kit with disgust. she reared up on her hindlegs, and slammed her paws onto the kit. kylan let out a shriek of surprise, going up into the air but only to fall back down. he felt a cold ground beneath him slam into his body. he hated it, he wanted it to stop.

please, stop momma! i love you, i promise! he thought as he felt himself trembling with fear. he didn't dare to get up, the little kit knew that even more suffering would happen if he did. the memory of his sister being clawed was bright one, just as vivid as reality was. fear builder up in him as he worried about what his mother would do next, would she leave him alone or would she continue her little lesson? he hoped it wasn't the latter.

  suddenly a loud bark exploded from outside the den, kylan's head snapping towards the entrance. in a instance, a brown tabby charged into the cave, pinning étoilé to the ground. the lithe calico growled at the tom, eyes narrowed into slits. " what are you doing here, aidan! " she asked firmly, muzzle twisted with anger. " you haven't been here for four moons, aidan. do you hear that, four moon? you haven't visited your kits once in four moons! " her snarls had soon became yowls, her paws swiping at the tabby to escape.

  kylan's father stared at his mate blankly, " i've come here every single day. " he stated calmly, ears twitching with slight annoyance. " meanwhile, you depend on several other queens to raise your own litter. it seems to me you're the one who should be judged. "

the fawn ticked tabby widen her eyes, shrieking with distaste. " liar, liar! " the queen , swiping at his face. " you have no right to say that, you little bit- " she was cut off by the snap that echoed in the cave. étoilé's irises were wide with horror, her head falling back as crimson blood dripped from her throat. aidan has snapped the head off of the queen, no guilt coming across his face. however, kylan was terrified. the kit scrambled upwards, dashing towards the entrance, but teeth sank into his scruff. the blood that was still on aidan's muzzle stained the kits face, a small squeak coming from kylan.

  " don't run, please kylan. " his father begged, licking the kit's scratches with tender care. after he bathed the kit for a few more seconds, he pressed his forehead with his son. " étoilé should've been killed moons ago, she was a horrible mother. she abused jester and you, poppet. we're going to leave and find a new home, okay? " kylan could feel the salty tears from his father, aidan's words had been choked from, full of grief. so he is sorry for killing momma.

  a minute of silence passed between the two, before kylan told his father something with happy relief in his voice.

  " alright papa. "

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔                                                                     

so um

yay?

okay, okay i know this is a bit of a unusual way to start off a story but i always just end up writing sad crap. it not my fault, it's my hand's fault

butttt

i'm proud of this chapter, i feel like it's fairly acceptable

and by that i mean i'm 90% that there isn't any spelling mistakes but if there is

tell me and i'll tell my dog