OBL st6 Woman in white

Start from the beginning

***

My travelling instructions directed me to Carlisle and then to change trains for Limmeridge. However, because of a long delay I missed my connection and did not get to Limmeridge till past ten. A servant in rather a bad temper was waiting for me at the station with a carriage and when I arrived at Limmeridge House everyone had gone to bed. I was shown to my room and when I at last put out the candle, I thought to myself. What shall I see in my dreams tonight? The woman in white? Or the unknown inhabitants of this Cumberland house?

Life at Limmeridge House 

When I got up the next morning, I was greeted by bright sunlight and a view of blue sea through the window. The future suddenly seemed full of promise. I found my way down to the breakfast-room and there, looking out of a window with her back turned to me, was a young woman with a perfect figure. But when she turned and walked towards me, I saw to my surprise that her face was ugly. Hair grew on her upper lip, and her mouth was large and firm. It was almost a man's face, but the friendly smile she gave me softened it and made her look more womanly. She welcomed me in a pleasant, educated voice and introduced herself as Marian Halcombe, Miss Fairlie's half-sister. 

'My mother was twice married,' she explained, in her easy, friendly manner. 'The first time to Mr. Halcombe my father and the second time to Mr. Fairlie my half-sister's father. My father was a poor man, and Miss Fairlie's father was a rich man. I've got nothing, and she has a fortune. I'm dark and ugly, and she's fair and pretty.' She said all this quite happily. 'My sister and I are very fond of each other, so you must please both of us, Mr. Hartright, or please neither of us.' 

She then told me that Miss Fairlic had a headache that morning and was being looked after by Mrs. Vesey, an elderly lady who had once been Miss Fairlie's governess. 

'So we shall be alone at breakfast, Mr. Hartright,' she said. 'As for Mr. Fairlie, your employer, you will doubtless meet him later. He is Miss Fairlie's uncle, a single man, who became Miss Fairlie's guardian when her parents died. He suffers from some mysterious illness of the nerves, and never leaves his rooms.' 

While we ate breakfast, she described the quiet, regular life that she and her sister led. 'Do you think you will get used to it?' she said. "Or will you be restless, and wish for some adventure?' 

Hearing the word 'adventure' reminded me of my meeting with the woman in white, and her reference to Mrs. Fairlie. I told Miss Halcombe all about my adventure, and she showed an eager interest, especially in the mention of her mother. 

'But you didn't find out the woman's name?' she said. 

I'm afraid not. Only that she came from Hampshire.' 

'Well, I shall spend the morning,' said Miss Halcombe, 'looking through my mother's letters. I'm sure I will find some clues there to explain this mystery. Lunch is at two o'clock, Mr. Hartright, and I shall introduce you to my sister then. 

After breakfast Mr. Fairlie's personal servant, Louis, came to tell me that Mr. Fairlie would like to see me. I followed the servant upstairs and was shown into a large room full of art treasures. There, in an armchair, sat a small, pale, delicate-looking man of about fifty. Despite his fine clothes and the valuable rings on his soft white fingers, there was something very unattractive about him. 

'So glad to have you here, Mr. Hartright,' he said in a high, complaining voice. 'Please sit down, but don't move the chair. In my state of nerves any movement is painful to me. May I ask if you have found everything satisfactory here at Limmeridge?' 

When I began to reply, he at once raised his hand to stop me. 

'Please excuse me, but could you speak more softly? I simply cannot bear loud voices, or indeed, any kind of loud sound.