28: It Wasn't Your Time to Die

Börja om från början

“Before you start—” he turned back to the group of people he’d been standing with and said a few brief words before stepping away from them completely “—you’re going to dance with me.”

“Hades,” I hissed rather desperately. “No. No dancing, no avoiding. Explaining. Lots and lots of explaining!”

He gained a clouded, concerned look on his face before he wiped it clean and started guiding me towards the dance floor. “Be daring, Natalie, and dance with the devil. Then I’ll do all the explaining you want.”

Whatever game he was playing, I couldn’t figure it out. The newly regained memories were running smoothly with the ones I had after opening my eyes to the stars above the corn field but I was still confused. I had more questions than answers and his not coughing up anything wasn’t helping.

Suddenly, he disappeared from my side to stand before me and I stumbled a bit. He took another step back after ensuring I was stable on my own two feet, onto the dance floor and took a slight bow before offering his hand. I could feel the burn of a blush on my cheeks as I shook my head and mouthed the word “no”.

He pouted, going as far as furrowing his brow and sticking out his bottom lip. I still refused but the glint in his eye told me he wouldn’t be put off. Maybe it was something about the significance of Halloween but he was acting much different than I’d ever seen from him. Considering I’d seen some very important parts of his past, and several moments between, it was safe to say I would know strange behavior if I saw it.

For a second it worried me. He controlled the dead and the dying and if he really wanted to, he could drop one person for every second I delayed. And even though I knew it to be true, I quickly brushed the thought away.

The woman standing next to me bumped her elbow against mine. “Put him out of his misery, darlin’. I don’t think he’ll bite unless you want him to.”

I looked at her, appalled, but she just shrugged. Irritated more than convinced, I stepped forward and slapped my hand into his.

A triumphant look crossed his face as he pulled me into a starting pose.

I whispered, “You’re not the devil but after that, I just might start to believe it.”

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the mischievous smirk. “You’re the only one I’d ever believe that from.”

We moved into the dancing but I didn’t stop the conversing. “Don’t be nice. It’s unbecoming. You’re Hades, Lord of the Dead. Try acting like it.”

“Oh-ho-ho. My darling girl, you would not want that.”

“You’re right. What I want is for you to be you.” I looked at him when I wasn’t supposed to and he did the same. “The cheerful demeanor is unnerving.”

“I’m playing the part, dear.”

“The entrepreneur who saves old buildings?”

“The very one.” He led me into the dip and then pulled me back up. “Is it believable?”

I smirked. “You’re no Hermes but you’re doing well. My father likes you, if that means anything, and he doesn’t like many people he does business with.”

“Having the respect of the world renowned Theodore Abernathy is an honor.”

“Are you being sarcastic?”

He looked at me, the cold back in his eyes so I knew he was serious. “No.”

The dropping of the cheer actually made me smile. “And there he is. The Hades I know and adore.”