Life Would Never Be the Same - Chapter 1 of An Affair to Remember

The man who had lived in the shadows for twenty years had one mission in life: to protect Monica Townsend, whatever the cost. He lived by his own code and would die before breaking a pact he had made so many years ago.

Monica had no idea every move she made was being watched. She couldn't have known he followed her home each day after work and returned with her each morning. He was buried in the shadows - day and night - and, despite his desire to get closer, he stayed away, having no desire to put her life at risk.

~~~~~~~~

Monica always knew she wanted to be a writer. From an early age, she sat at the computer writing about the characters which lived in her soul. She spent hours with them and, in some ways, they became her reality, even her friends.

Having had more acquaintances than actual friends, Monica tended to spend most of her time at home when not attending school. Her love for writing increased each year; television soon became a thing of the past as words took over her life.

As she learned more about the world around her, Monica internalized her feelings and wrote them into poetic form, inspiring people around her more than she could have dreamed.

If only I can do the same with my stories, I will be really happy, Monica thought. I just want to reach out to people through the written word and help them get a break from the lives they lead for a little while.

Sadly, despite Monica’s hopes and dreams, something would alter the course of her life forever.

~~~~~~~~

Residing in the same city but living in a different world, Chase was on the front lines of society; he knew what it was to help others and be part of their lives on a daily basis. Being a cop, he saw more than his share of stressful, heart-wrenching moments but also witnessed the rewards - moments when a child was returned to his parents or a pet was rescued from a house fire and placed into a teary-eyed child’s arms.

Yes, being a cop was difficult and wreaked havoc with his body’s internal clock, not to mention the strain it placed on his family. However, being a cop was not a job for Chase; it was his identity. It became him and he had never once regretted joining the force.

Even so, Chase was about to encounter someone he had never dreamed existed - someone who would change his convictions and life forever.

~~~~~~~~

Monica’s love for words had become such a part of her that she couldn’t imagine being away from them for long periods. Knowing she would only write creatively for a certain number of hours each day, she decided to live on the words and stories others created, editing their stories for, at least, five to six hours a day.

Unlike many people who thrived on the convenience of working from home, Monica had no children or husband. Over time, she had developed a reputation which had allowed her to, finally, make the break and rent a space away from home where she could work.

Monica appreciated her little office, making it a home away from home. It wasn't exceptionally large but was big enough to house a desk and chair, two bookshelves, a black leather sofa and a little kitchenette. Photos and paintings lined every wall. Who cared whether other people had offices twice or three times the size? It was her work space and that's all that mattered.

On the fateful day in question, Monica had gotten carried away and spent more time at the office than intended - a hazard of the job. Deciding to call it quits, she rose from her desk and took a moment to stretch. She rinsed her coffee mug and set it on the counter before reaching for her jacket and turning off the light. As she opened the door and reached into her pocket to get the keys to lock it, a hand from behind came across her mouth and nose, holding her firmly in place. Monica could feel the impression of a gun on her left temple.