Meeting her

I've been watching people dance around for the past week preparing for my coronation ball. I'm being crowned queen...and my family are the only people happy about it. We have no sons, so the kingdom is in a panic. Long live Queen Halena, blah blah blah.

Come to think of it...I'm the only child to the throne. I have 3 cousins that are female. I have no siblings. Our family tradition always demanded a husband, but unless I have one twice my age or 3 years old, I'll have to pass. The only available suitor is at a nearby kingdom, but because it's a girl, we can't join our countries. Yay.

That's what this ball is for. To find me a suitor. Sure I'm queen now. But I can't rule alone. As scared of being queen as I am, I couldn't marry someone I don't love.

"May I have this dance?" An older fellow asked me. I was hovering by my mother and she nodded; just as well to the last 6 men. She always made my choices for me.

I let him lead me out to the floor. I made sure I didn't look my best just so men wouldn't be attracted. I wanted to blow people off by acting rudely and without manners, but my mother would have had me scalped.

"You look lovely, Queen Halena." He said as he twirled me.

"Thank you." I replied bluntly. He didn't seem thrown off by my curt behavior. I know I need to smile and seem engaged, but I'm seriously having a terrible time. Our dance stopped and he bowed and I curtsied. I made a bee-line for the balcony. I almost ran. That was the moment I was so concentrated on leaving, I almost didn't know I plowed someone over.

"Woah!" the voice said. I saw the figure falling back to I reacted quickly and pulled their arm. I guess I'm stronger than I thought because I yanked them into me, crashing our heads together.

"Ow, I'm going to have a headache for 3 weeks now." I exclaimed.

"That's called a concussion." The person said. I looked up and it was a charming woman. From pictures, I recognized her as the queen of the nearby country I talked about. She had a suit on and it fit her nicely. She was rubbing her head.

"Right, sorry." I didn't know what to say. We stood there awkwardly for a moment before she spoke up.

"If that's how you greet your guests, remind me to ignore your invitations." She put her arm down.

"I don't run into people like that often, I'm sorry." I played with my hands, "You should come to my balls though. They're pretty hopping." I smiled.

"Is that why you look like you're having so much fun?" She challenged. Ok, so maybe I looked miserable on the outside too.

"Exactly it." I shrugged. She was taller in person, but still just as intimidating. I turned and set back on my path to the balcony.

I took a deep breath, but I was interrupted...

"I saw you met Queen Victoria." ...by my mother.

"Yea, smacked her right in the head for you."

"That's my girl." She walked up to me.

"Why even is she here? She never comes to anything." I looked at my mom, searching for a way to avoid seeing that queen forever.

"She came for you." Nope.

"What?" I was surprised...then I mentally kicked myself, "I knocked into her too."

"The regional court suggested an arranged marriage and I accepted for you."

"No, I can't look at her anymore." I rolled my eyes. My mother turned me towards her.

"You'll marry her. Youll have too." And she went to walk away.

"Why did you make me dance with all those guys then?"

"Because every time you looked miserable, it made me more proud of my choice." And she went off.

I sighed and went back to staring out at the garden below the balcony.

"You knocked me over to look at plants?" I heard from behind me. I whirled around and saw Queen Victoria. Her face never showed much emotion but I could tell she was amused.

"Yup, and after dancing with random people in a hot ballroom, its worth it." I tuned back.

I heard her walk up and look out to the balcony. I looked at her sideways. Her suit was a dark purple with a gold neck and sleeve trim. She had brown hair and dark green eyes. I looked back at the greenery.

"I saw you and your mother talking," She said, still looking out, "I assume you got the news."

"Yea, I did." I looked at her and she turned to me.

"I hope you are alright with that." She waited for my reply. I didn't have one. She kept looking at me, waiting for me to say something.

"Why?" was all I could say. I never heard of a woman marrying another woman. I never thought about it and was not interested.

"Our countries were under contract to merge together and both our parents prayed one of us would be a boy-"

"That's exactly it!" I snapped, "None of us are boys. we're both girls!"

"Yes." She looked at me calmly. She didn't even flinch at my outburst.

"Are you ok with it?" I asked. I seriously wanted to know her opinion.

"It is tradition to marry whom we need to." She looked away, "I have to be."

"I didn't ask you what you had to think about it."

"You asked a question and I answered how I saw fit."

"I will NOT be bossed around by you forever." I rose my voice slightly. Her voice was even the entire time.

"I don't boss you around. I boss the country around." She pointed out. She angered me, but also intimidated me. I felt her look at me and then turn to leave. I let her walk off. I'll apologize for being so sour later.

*sometime later*
I watched as some people started to leave. I just came back from my office because I was looking for something to distract me. I found some dusty books to pretend to read, but I gave up and returned. My mother was saying goodbye to a fellow and his wife and to my surprise, it cleared out quick...Except Queen Victoria.

I saw her as she directed some of the butlers here and there to collect plates and clean up. Great. She's been here for a few hours and she's already taking over.

"Halena dear!" I turn and my mother is standing a few feet away.

"Mother." I said professionally.

"I take it you're not too happy about the arrangement?"

"How'd ya guess?" I rolled my eyes. She walked up to me and took my hand.

"I'm sorry. It could have played out better, but Miss Victoria gets to the point, doesn't she?"

"Yea...she came up, gave the news and left...certainly to the point." I hear footsteps coming up and I glance over my shoulder.

"Here she is." my mother smiled at her.

"Speak of the devil." I mumbled.

"The party went by smoothly," Victoria said when she arrived, "Don't you think Halena?"

Don't say my name..."Yes." It did go smoothly, but I won't agree enthusiastically.

"I for one think it went great." my mother chimed in. "Clean-up is going just as smoothly."

"As I instructed." Victoria gave a slight nod. She was too darn organized...

"Will you be staying the night in the palace?" My mother asked.

"If you wouldn't mind." Victoria replied. I grit my teeth, but not noticeably...

"It would be my pleasure!" My mother shook with joy. I refrained from rolling my eyes.

"I'm going to head to my chambers if you don't mind." I curtsied to them both before leaving with haste. I gave them no time to protest. I heard them continue to talk, but I ignored them as I left the ballroom.