Chapter Two

Cath woke up to the peaceful sounds of birds chirping outside the window. She then noticed a tree branch peeking through, one single small bud was growing on the end of the branch, a delicate white daisy. She must have been dreaming, but as Cath sat up the blossom slowly withered up and died crumbling to dust on the floor. With a pang of guilt, she realized why... Mary-Ann. She took a deep breath trying to hold back tears when she realized that Jest was gone. She looked around the room, trying to get a better look now that it was lit by the morning sun. It was small, with an oak bed wedged in the corner. It wasn't decorated in any specific way and would have looked quite bare if it weren't for the dusty bookshelves lining the walls. Cath untangled herself from the quilt and made her way to the door, anxious to find Jest. Opening it just a crack, Cath stuck her head out, to see the corridor filled with smoke. "Dammit!" Jest's alarmed voice came from down the stairs followed by the clanging of pots and pans. Cath crept down the stairs making as little noise as possible. She followed the heavy clouds to find Jest, covered in soot and pancake batter, desperately trying to put out a small flame.  "How the hell does she do this?" he muttered under his breath. Cath doubled over laughing, a rather unladylike snort escaped her before she could stop it.

"What in the name of Hearts were you trying to do?" she asked through giggles.

"Well.... it was supposed to be a surprise, but it didn't go exactly as planned" Jest grinned sheepishly. Cath smiled,

"Let's make a deal, how about I take care of all the cooking from now on." Jest smiled and nodded. "I hope I don't come across as rude by asking but, where are we?" Cath asked looking around the smoke-filled kitchen 

"Oh right..." Jest said turning back to the mess, "this is my house, mostly for when I'm off duty- so I'm rarely here" His words awoke the butterflies in her stomach. Jest's house, she had never been in another man's house unchaperoned.

"And the room I was sleeping in last night?"

"My room" Jest's room, Jest's bed. Cath's heart began to beat rapidly, he had given up his bed for her. After months of traveling, weeks of being on the run, he was finally home and he gave that up for her. A small smile spread across her lips as she bent to help him clean up the kitchen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi!

Ok, I'm really sorry that this chapter was so short but I've got a LOT of things I've been working on. I promise I will try to update later this week. Thanks for reading! Please Vote!

-SeekerHart