Epilogue

The days of the world had turned to the Fourth Age. The sun was rising again, crawling over the slopes of Erebor. The Dwarven kingdom as well as both Dale and Woodland Realm had seen their share of battle in the War of the Ring. By now they were all flourishing again. Erebor was ruled by Thorin III Stonehelm. The lord of the Woodland Realm was Thranduil. And in the kingdom of Dale, to everyone's great surprise, King Bard the First still stood strong.

It was not until shortly before the battles of the War of the Ring that Thranduil had explained the meaning of the pendant. It held inside the hair he had cut by the demand of the curious hooded man. It held in it magic that gave part of Thranduil's immortality to Bard. The Elvenking had weighed the demanded price and decided it was worth paying. He was ready to take the chance for Bard. They had both outlived the battles of the War which made Thranduil feel even more confident in his decision.

Now Thranduil walked in soft steps to the balcony where Bard already was overlooking his kingdom.

"Morning," the Dragonslayer greeted without looking at Thranduil.

"Good morning," the Elvenking replied laying his fingers gently onto Bard's shoulder. The Man wrapped his left arm around Thranduil's waist. On the outside neither of them had aged a day since the day the pendant was given to Bard. In their hearts the love had only grown deeper and they were able to live in great harmony.

"The Age of Men is beautiful," Thranduil continued.

"Even more so with an Elf in it," Bard said. Most of the Elves had sailed West. There were not many left in Middle-Earth. Even the Halls of Thranduil were growing ever emptier. The Elvenking had known it when he had made his decision. In Dale there was plenty of life, though, and that is why Thranduil came over often. As an Elf he accepted the changing of times.

Bard pushed Thranduil a little so he would turn. The Man slid his free hand into Thranduil's neck and kissed him with all the love he had in his heart. Thranduil answered the kiss. One of the Elf's hands was still on Bard's shoulder and the other pressed gently against the Dragonslayer's chest.

The sunrays were dancing in their hair and on their skin.

"A hundred years?" Thranduil whispered as they broke out of the kiss. Bard smiled at his beloved Elf and held him close.

"And a hundred more."