how to let go of a toxic friendship

1. Realize its OK to go your separate ways

                  When it comes to friends, it's perfectly normal to feel like the relationship will and should go on forever. But just like you can move on from a partner, you can also move on from a friend. The friendship may have come to its natural end and that's OK. If you're going to grow, you're going to lose people along the way.

2. Focus on your healthy relationships 

                 When deciding to end a toxic friendship, do your best to focus on the other people in your life. It is often helpful to focus on the healthy relationship we want to have, and ones that help us grow as a person. Such , so go spend your time with them.

3. Don't stew in your bitterness 

                   It can be tough to come to terms with a bad friend. After all, this person was supposed to be there for you, and they failed. It can stir up some pretty heavy bitterness, but it's necessary to let this feeling go. Forgive them for not being the friend you want, free yourself of any guilt, and move on.

4. Don't wait for an apology 

                   If a friend was treating you bad enough to dump them from your life, then don't wait around . Don't hope for an admission that the other person was wrong, or treated you bad. That would be magnificent, almost ideal, but when that apology and insight never comes, you'll end up feeling more hurt than ever. So move on, and try to let it go.

5. Gather the help of other friends

                  Don't try to go through this "break up" alone. Reach out to family or friends — anyone who can help remind you why you're ending the friendship. 

6. Let yourself move on

                   Just like you shouldn't go back to a bad SO time and time again, don't torture yourself by doing this with friends, either. Simply end contact, and give yourself a chance to move on.

7. Allow yourself to feel sad

                     It's totally fine to feel sad about leaving a friendship. Feel those emotions, and take time to reflect on what you learned from the time you spent with him or her. Realizing what made you feel so bad will help you not put up with such toxicity in the future.

8. Have less and less contact 

                       Sometimes the easiest, and least dramatic, way to end a friendship is to slowly lessen your contact. As friendship expert Cherie Burbach said on Friendship.About.com, "If you see your friend occasionally, you can always , with just a response here and there if they contact you. You can continue saying you're busy until they take the hint and leave."

9. Keep your last convo brief 

                            For a more definitive end, you could also sit your friend down and address them head on. As Martinez says, "... keep things as brief and clean as possible. You do not owe them some long and drawn out explanation. Simply let them know and why. Do not argue, do not engage, state your point and move forward. "

10. Consider writing them a letter

                             If the previous tip sounds scary, then consider putting your thoughts down in letter form. Sometimes jotting down your feelings is the best route, as it gives you time to think, according to Martinez. It also gives you a chance to edit out some of the well, meaner, things you might feel inclined to say. Those things are best left out.

11. Reflect on what you learned

                               If the previous tip sounds scary, then consider putting your thoughts down in letter form. Sometimes jotting down your feelings is the best route, as it gives you time to think. It also gives you a chance to edit out some of the well, meaner, things you might feel inclined to say. Those things are best left out.

And remember, it is OK to end the friendship. It may be difficult, but you'll feel so much better in the end.