Ch1: You're Standing Too Close

AN: I'm saying this again: you probably know this after watching Gotham but this story includes mature content, for an example violence and murder. After all, this is a story about two villains. Hope you'll enjoy!

Oswald's POV

Slightly disappointed but not at all surprised, I sigh as I look down at Jim Gordon's unoccupied desk. He's not here.

I tap the invitation I'm holding against my palm as I look around, hoping to get a glimpse of him anyway. What catches my eye instead is a man moving on the upper  level, acting weird. He's looking over the precinct in an observing way. Eventually he stops and his gaze goes over me, almost meeting my eye but he looks away. He obviously noticed me, though. I get a weird feeling of being watched.

I look at him, waiting for him to return the stare or keep walking but he keeps still so I turn away. I can sense it, though. I can't exactly hear him in the busy precinct but I know he's walking down the stairs and he's behind me. I look over my shoulder, not enough to fully see him, though. I decide to walk away but turn to look at him as I do, seeing him walking in the same direction on the other side of the precinct. This time he looks at me too, not even trying to hide it. I look away and keep walking but I can see him glancing at me from the corner of my eye every now and then as we approach the other side at the same pace.

Once there, I stop walking. He walks around me as I stare at him from the corner of my eye until he stops as well, standing next to me. I can't take it anymore.

"Can I help you?" I ask as I turn to face him, looking up at him considering our rather big height difference.

"I don't think so." He says before turning to look at me as well. "Can you?"

I smile which seems to amuse him because he chuckles with me even when I'm not being sincere. "What do you want?" I ask him, keeping the smile on my face.

He turns his body towards me as well, still smiling like we're old, reunited friends. "What I want, the poor have, the rich need and if you eat it you'll die."

The smile fades from my lips as I frown. "Is this- are you asking me a riddle?" I ask in confusion once he's still staring and smiling, expecting an answer.

"Do you like riddles?" He asks, looking more sincere and innocent than anyone in this city. His whole being seems like a kid who just wants you to play their stupid game.

"No." I reply, hoping that'd get him not to ask another one.

He doesn't seem disappointed, though. "So, do you give up?" He asks and I'm guessing he gets just as much joy from explaining the riddle to someone as he does from someone answering correctly. I can't blame him, we all want to seem smarter than most.

I smile. "Friend, look-"

"Nothing. The answer is nothing." He interrupts me, apparently unable to keep it in anymore. "The poor have it, the rich need it and if you eat it-"

I hold up a hand to cut him off. I got it. "Who are you?"

"Edward." He says with a more shy smile now. "Nygma." I blink up at him, I have never heard that name. "I know who you are." He goes on with an implying tone. I pull my lips between my teeth in an attempt not to smile. I have to admit it feels nice to know you're not a nobody in Gotham.

"Then you know that you're standing too close." I just say, looking up and down at him to emphasize the fact that he is in my personal place which is something I'm not a big fan of.

For the first time his smile fades and his lips press into a thin line as he looks down as if to measure the distance between us and whether or not it's appropriate. I don't know which conclusion did he come to but he doesn't argue, instead he takes a very calculated step back before looking up at me with that same, bit nervous look. I sigh slightly and turn away now that he's finally further away.

"Did you know that male emperor penguins keep their eggs warm by balancing them on their feet?" His voice breaks the silence and I turn to look at him again, glaring at him in a way that I hope makes him recieve the message. Leave. "Isn't that neat?" He asks with a smile which at this point is starting to look like he really is just trying to irritate me. Well, two can play at that game.

I smile as I turn to him and take a step closer into our previous position I had shown my dislike towards. "Nice to meet you, sir." I say politely before letting the smile die on my lips. "Keep moving." I add more harshly, hoping my tone combined with my stare would finally send him on his way.

He does seem a little taken aback and stops smiling, but only briefly. "Will do." He says once he has composed himself and the annoying smirk is back on his face. He keeps smiling as he walks off and I look at him go over my shoulder. Who the hell is Edward Nygma?

AN: Hellooo. So, yes, this is my version of how Nygmobblepot could've developed in season one because sadly we only got this one first meeting. Hope you're enjoying! Follows, comments, votes, everything is appreciated since I'm only starting here. Thank you for reading :)