5~Boat Party

5~Boat Party

Emily

When we finally reached the Hotel that day, Mr. Bowres led us to where the girls’ floor was and where the boys’.  I and Stacy decided to share one room while Anna and Jacque shared the one across from us. 

“See you later at the B.P,” Stacy winked at Jacque and Anna before they turned and went into their room. 

Stacy opened our door before running inside.  Yes, running.  I wondered what a B.P. was while I walked into the Hotel room.  The first thing that hit me was the smell.  It smelled of palm trees and mangos, so strong you could taste it.  A moan from around the corner caught my attention.  Closing the door and lugging my bag behind me, I turned the corner and saw Stacy face down on the bed. 

She was moaning as if she hit her head, though I’m pretty sure that happened to her when she was a baby. 

“What’s so ‘mmm,’” I mimicked.  Sitting up with a goofy grin on her face, Stacy opened her arms.

“Look at this!” she exclaimed.  “It smells great, the beds are comfy, and look!” she said jumping up from the bed to go over to the window.  She gestured to the window and I felt my breath catch.  The view was amazing.

“Exactly,” Stacy said crossing her arms over her chest.  “Now, come on, let’s unpack so we can get to the real party,” she turned on her heel heading back to the beds.  I circled to the front door to grab my luggage and bring it back to the beds.  I heard a squeal from the bathroom, followed by a rush of water.  I guess we should shower since we haven’t taken one for a while. 

A knock on the door stopped me halfway to the bedroom.  Dropping my suitcase, I walked back to the door and threw it open.  My breath caught in my throat for the second time today at the sight of Daniel McMullon.  I swear if this keeps happening, I’m going to choke and die. 

“D-D-Daniel,” I stuttered out. 

“Emily,” he said. He made my name sound like it coated in hot fudge, wrapped up perfectly for perfection.  He looked down and I followed his gaze to a little paper he held out. 

“There’s some party my roommate’s throwing for everyone here.  Here’s the info.”

Taking the card, I read over it.  At the top it read, “BOAT PARTY!!!” which made me remember back to B.P.  I guess we’re using code so the chaperones don’t find out.  How smart.

“Thanks,” I mumbled before stepping back and shutting the door.  When it didn’t close, I looked down to see a shoe wedged in the door. 

“Yes?” I said opening the door again. 

“Are you going?” Daniel cocked his head to the side, an invisible smile on his lips. 

Shrugging my shoulders, I shut the door-fully this time-when I heard the shower water go off.  Locking it, I plopped myself on the couch as Stacy came out with a new outfit. 

“What?” she said looking in my direction.

“B.P?  Really, Stacy?   You’re all having a party on an educational field trip?  We could get in serious trouble!”

“Chill, Em!  It’ll all be fine, trust me.  It’s tonight so we study this culture or whatever, have dinner at five and lights out at six.  That’s how it’s supposed to go.  At seven is when the party starts!  Once it reaches seven we get ready and we have to be there by nine so—

“Stacy,” I said tersely. 

She looked up at me before rushing to my side and hugging me.

“Sweety, it’s going to be alright.  All we have to do is what I just said.  Come on, it’ll be fun!”

Sighing, I nodded, knowing I would regret this.

Daniel

I didn’t leave Emily’s room until I heard her dully say yes to going to the party to her loud friend, Stacy.  I slipped the card under everyone’s door because I honestly didn’t want to be bothered with the rest of the school’s clichés. 

I couldn’t get Emily out of my head now.  I quickly went downstairs and went to go eat something before I had to coexist with the outside world.

Emily

It had been a long day of work and I was closing it off by talking to my parents. 

“How are you, honey?” My parents said in the creepy unison they do.

“Fine,” I said smiling. 

They continued with me about how everything was and when they saw me becoming more and more distant from the conversation, they said their good nights and left. 

“Are we ready for this party or what?” Jacque squealed.

Anna lifted me up before pushing me into the next room to grab something nice.

I decided to go with a simple tank top, with an elbow length button up that went with a pair of summer jeans.  I straightened my hair and everyone approved and by seven thirty we left the house.  I had grabbed a couple of water and food and stored it in my plastic bags and put them in my purse. 

The party was in full swing by eight thirty when we arrived.  The warm tropical breeze flitted through the nighttime air, and the boat was really crowded, people wearing barely anything. 

“Let’s party!” Stacy yelled and the entire boat whooped and howled, just as the boat jerked forward and started moving out to the ocean.

Daniel

I had avoided the free alcohol and had decided to just sit back and watch the party in full swing.  I should’ve brought my own food and drinks seen as the stuff here was probably poisoned with something one way or another.  Walking near the edge of the boat, I leaned of the captain’s door and looked through the space that was meant to be a window.  I saw Emily walking around until she stopped.  Following her gaze, I saw her friend Stacey along with that ass whole jock.  They were sucking at each other’s faces and I saw Emily huff before walking right over to the empty space near me. 

Sliding over so I was in hearing range, I nodded towards her friend and the jack ass. 

“Beautiful, isn’t it?”

Startled, she looked at me with a face filled with emotions.  Without a word, she walked quickly by me and I followed her with my eyes until I saw her stop at the edge of the boat.

A loud siren made the party go silent.  Everyone rushed to the side of the boat, jostling each other to see what made the party stop.  I turned to where Emily was standing and saw her lose her balance as people ran by her.  She tumbled over the side of the boat, her fingers the only thing now visible.

“Stop the party and anchor the boat!” A loud man said from the other boat.  The boat jerked to a stop and I heard a wail and Emily’s fingers disappeared. 

“Emily!” I screamed out and looked around for a boat of some kind.  A box that displayed a dingy that could hold up to eight was on the front and I quickly ripped it open, dragging the large red thing before jumping into the water.

“What are you doing?”  Emily exclaimed.  Pulling the large string attached to the dingy, it inflated, and I climbed in. 

“Come on,” I reached my hand out to her for her to climb in.  Reluctantly, she grabbed hold of my hand and I pulled her up into the dingy. 

“No!”

I looked at the boats and saw them start heading back for shore.  Looking for the oars, I tried to paddle back, but the current was too strong and a huge wave came out of nowhere, plunging us into the warm, dark water.