"Umm, no, actually that's what they got Gareth," his face reddening since he helped them pick out the tie for their dad and thought it was fine. "They got me handmade chocolates seasoned with different spices."

"Step-parents everywhere are insanely jealous, Phillip. The kids know about you and Gareth, and are happy about it. They like you. Do you know how lucky you are?"

"I suppose. But honestly, it's not like Leeann is much competition," he rationalized.

The door swung open wildly, interrupting their conversation. "Hey, twinkle-toes, I need you in my office," Brian demanded, popping his head in the room. He pointed his index finger and thumb like a gun and pulled the trigger at Phillip. Brian had something clutched in the remaining fisted fingers and, if possible, his demeanor was more officious than normal. Mel and Phillip looked at each other, then Phillip shrugged and headed towards the door.

Phillip left his lunch on the table and followed Brian down the hall, while Mel fumed in the break room at the second homophobic remark of the day uttered by their weasel-like boss. She was seriously considering going and listening at the door in case Phillip needed back-up. Instead the microwave beeped and she retrieved her container of leftover pasta, knowing that Brian kept very close track of their break times.

Inside Brian's air conditioned office, there were two uniformed police officers waiting, looking very solemn. One was tall and muscled, the other was built more like Gareth but slightly shorter. Phillip instantly tensed, worried that something had happened to the Lewises. Was he their emergency contact? Were Gareth's parents the next of kin? Maybe it wasn't a car accident. Had Leeann violated her restraining order? He wouldn't put it past her to ruin Father's Day for Gareth. Phillip's mind flipped through horribly tragic scenarios faster than Leeann hurled insults.

"Phillip Cameron?" the taller, bulkier officer asked in an official manner.

"Yes?"

"You're under arrest for theft over $5000 and fraud..." the officer continued his spiel, telling Phillip all about his rights while his mind reeled.

"Officer, can I ask why I'm being arrested? Theft and fraud of what?" Phillip was truly confused and it was written all over his face. Stealing was wrong, his parents had certainly drummed that into him when he was young and he'd never even taken a second free sample at the grocery store as far as he could remember.

That was when Brian lost it. He had been smiling smugly as the police officer was arresting the crooked employee, but now he was furious that Phillip wouldn't even have the decency to look contrite. The paper Brian clutched was unfurled and waved in Phillip's face.

"You've been stealing my products and using them for your financial gain. You're running a fucking gardening business, you asshole. You and your fucking butt buddy. 'Oh, use your discount and buy us these baskets.' Who knows how long you've been swindling the people paying your wages." His voice rose steadily in volume and ferocity as the diatribe continued. "My naive aunt and uncle thought the world of you, but all along you've been a creepy autistic faggot who's been screwing everyone over. Well, no longer, asshole. You're going to go to jail, then let's see how much you like to take it up the ass."

Brian's veins were popping off his forehead and the second officer actually trod in between to keep him from physically harming Phillip, who was just standing still, flabbergasted and in shock. "Mr. Bentman, you need to hold your tongue and control your temper."

Brian took a step backwards and let out an angry exhale.

"Mr. Cameron, I need you to put your hands out to cuff you," the first officer requested. Never one to deny the police, Phillip robotically held his arms in front of him. The officer turned Phillip around and pulled his hands behind his back after removing the Bentman's apron, still smeared with a bit of dirt from the work in the morning.