She slept an unmoving, dreamless sleep for most of the day, waking in the mid-afternoon to the hustle and bustle of the staff getting the house prepared for the evening's guests and festivities. Kristi braved their cleaning fury for a snack before hurrying back up to her room to bathe and dress for the party.

At half past seven, Iris came to dress her hair, bringing a couple bunches of fresh cut, tiny, white flowers to be pinned into it. Miraculously, Kristi's hair complied beautifully to Iris' skilled hands.

The final result was stunning. Kristi's hair was swept back loosely on both sides and pulled into a simple french twist at the back. The bunches of flowers adorned both sides of the twist. Her dress was a rich forest green silk accented at the shoulders, waist and hem with white lace. The neckline was scooped, yet modest and the off shoulder sleeves fell to the middle of her upper arm. Elbow length gloves and white satin slippers completed the ensemble. She couldn't resist the urge to twirl, watching the full skirt bell out even further. Even then she looked elegant.

Iris sighed as she watched. "It's a pity there won't be dancing, this dress has a skirt that would move beautifully to a waltz."

Kristi swished the skirt back and forth with her hands, admiring the movement of the material. "Yes, it would," she agreed.

Their admiration were interrupted by a knock on the door. Iris went to open it and Kristi could see Tibbons when she had.

He looked even more solemn than usual. "Dr. Gage has sent for you, the company has arrived and dinner will be served in a moment."

"Thank you, Tibbons, tell Uncle I shall be down in a moment."

He bowed slightly, "Yes, Miss."

Iris closed the door and Kristi looked back at the mirror. She pinched her cheeks to give a little colour to them and touched a hand to her hair, securing a pin that had already begun to slip loose.

"There, Iris," I believe that I am ready now."

Iris opened the door and Kristi exited, heading directly for the stairs. She descended them as quickly as good grace would allow. Dr. Gage was standing in the foyer, and spied her as she reached the top of the first floor staircase. He met her halfway up and walked down the rest with her.

"There you are m'dear, the guests have already been shown in to the parlor."

He seemed giddy. "Too bad you weren't down sooner, Dr. Seldon tossed his coat and hat onto the mail side board and scattered the mail all over. Tibbons almost had an apoplexy! I don't think he shall ever forgive Dr. Seldon."

Kristi couldn't contain her smile at Dr. Gage's merriment.

They entered the parlor. Dr. Seldon, the exuberant bachelor of the middle-aged group, noticed them immediately.

"Ah, Miss Garrett, I wondered when we would have the pleasure of your company. Indeed it was worth the wait. You look enchanting this evening, Miss."

He grasped her hand and kissed it lightly. 

"Thank you Dr. Seldon, the pleasure is all mine."

Dr. Gage escorted her around the room, reacquainting her with all of his friends, though she knew most of them from the hospital already. After the introductions, Kristi seated herself in an arm chair and listened to the discussions going on around her. Each of the men held a small glass of brandy, sipping it as they conversed. They were all engaged by Dr. Seldon's lively story telling, even the thoughtful Dr. Ryans, when Tibbons announced dinner was served. Kristi waited to be escorted by her usually attentive uncle, but found herself alone when the men exited the room on a volley of laughter evoked by Tibbons' facial expression.