She curled up in her favorite leather arm chair and greedily opened the latest medical book that she ahd borrowed from Dr. Gage. She devoured both the muffins and the words, only halting her reading when she heard the door slam closed.

In a moment, Dr. Gage entered the library through the door that connected it to the formal parlor.

"Ah, hello m'dear," he said pleasantly, "Reading again are we? What, pray tell, is it this time?"

Kristi held up the thick volume so the title was visible.

"Fletcher's guide to the Musculature System," Dr. Gage read aloud, "Good choice, very informative."

"So far it has been very explanatory," Kristi agreed. She watched Dr. Gage, something was different about her behaviour. He was acting distracted and almost giddy.

"Is there something you wish to discuss, Uncle?" she asked.

He grinned in response, "As a matter of fact, yes. How would you feel about a small dinner party?"

"Tonight? I can't make it tonight, Uncle, I have a shift at the hospital."

He looked crestfallen. "Oh."

Kristi had never seen him so excited over a dinner party before. He usually tried to avoid most social gatherings all together.

"If it helps, I don't work tomorrow night," she offered.

He immediately perked up. "You don't? And you will be here?"

Now she was confused. For all the time that she had been here, she had attended a couple parties with him, but he had never hosted one.

"You are planning to hold a dinner party here?" she clarified.

He nodded in affirmation, "Yes, just a few close friends to welcome back someone I haven't seen in ages."

Kristi smiled at him again. He was like a school boy in his eagerness. "in that case, yes, I'll be there,"

Dr. Gage lit up. "Oh, splendid, I'll send the invitations now."

He got up to leave.

"Don't forget to tell Mrs. Westley," Kristi reminded him, "She'd have our heads if we let company show up without giving her a warning, especially for a fancy dinner."

"Of course, I should have thought of that," he said, his voice concerned, "Thank you m'dear, I'll tell her right this moment."

He left quickly, but still remembered to close the door so she could continue her reading in peace. Even through the door, she heard him as he called loudly for Mrs. Westley.

Kristi was happy for him, he hadn't done anything outside the house except work for weeks now. She was glad that she could take part in giving him a pleasant evening. And, for herself, she was actually looking forward to it as well. She enjoyed the company of Dr. Gages friends. Despite their advanced age, they were a lively bunch, especially after dinner when they had each had a brandy or two. The evening definitely wouldn't be dull.

With a smile on her face, she went back to the words of the illustrious Dr. Fletcher.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Her shift at the hospital that evening passed uneventfully. There were no new patients admitted, and the ones who were already admitted slept peacefully. Even Mr. Radley was quiet, for he had been given enough morphine that the pain didn't affect his rest. Kristi was thankful for that. But even with a slow night at the hospital, by the time she reached Dr. Gage's house, she was dead on her feet. She skipped breakfast, bid good morning to Dr. Gage, and fell into bed.