Chapter 22: How loaded are you?!

Maggie's POV

Zmm. Zmm.

I sighed, "Hara?"

"What?" Urushihara looked up from his computer, and raised an eyebrow. Sadao sat across from him, reading a manga. 

Zmm. Zmm.

"Get my phone out of my pocket, will you? Someone is calling me," I asked, as I scrubbed the inside of a pot at the small kitchen sink. Urushihara groaned and stood up, walking over and slipping his hand into my pocket. 

I suddenly realized how awkward that was, and blushed.

Zmm. Zmm

"What do I-"

"Answer it! And press it to my ear!" I hissed, feeling it probably would've been easier to do this myself. He pressed the phone to my ear, and I saw his face briefly as I took the phone between my cheek and shoulder. He was a bit red.

"Hello?" I asked, into the phone, as Urushihara went back to his spot in front of the computer. Sadao snickered.

"MAGGIE! OH MY GOD! MAKE THEM GO AWAY!"

"Whoa, what do you mean? Slow down."

"It's them! They're here and I don't know what to do! I'm gonna loose my mind! Come home now!" Grace cried anxiously into the phone. In the background I could hear loud arguing. 

She didn't even need to explain further, "Alright! I'm coming."

She hung up and I found a towel to dry my hands with, "Mr. Maou? I have to go, it's..."

I struggled to find a name for my situation.

"A family emergency."

"O-oh! I see! Well, if you need any help-"

I was already walking out the door, "Thanks, but I'm good! Sayonara!"

I ran down the stairs, and almost tackled my bike- kicking the kick stand up, and hopping on. I peddled like mad forward, taking a left at the corner. 

My guardian, Joshua Sterling, was visiting. He'd adopted me when I was five, after my parents had died. I don't remember them very well, just a snippet of a lullaby a woman with dark hair sang, and the laugh of a man whose face I can't remember.

Old Man was what I called Mr. Sterling, because he had asked me to. He didn't like father or dad, and I couldn't see him as one either. He was terribly awkward. Mr. Sterling was- in his opinion- too formal, and Josh "didn't sound quite right." So finally, after quite a while of living with him, he worked up the courage to suggest Old Man, because he's into sappy cliche anime, and it "sounded tsundere, kind of. In a way? Do I sound creepy now? Maggie, please tell me I'm not creepy."

And when Grace said "they" it must mean that Carson Osaka was with him. I smiled at the thought of the older brother figure I'd grown up with. He had looked after me whenever Joshua was on a business trip, which was quite often. The two of them were quite a pair. Joshua was always doing something stupid, and Carson was always cleaning things up after him and saving his butt. 

After finishing Middle School in the States, Joshua had decided to send me to High School in Japan, and decided I needed a companion that wasn't Carson (he needed Carson to come with him on a particularly long business trip, that required a lot of human interaction in a non-business-like setting). So he bought an apartment in Sasazuka, and sent Grace with me, and the two of us have been living here in Japan ever since.