Chapter IX

MY EYES got riveted by Gelatin. I monitored her, doing stuff in the kitchen. She tucked her hair at the back of her ears every time it will mess up in front of her face. She smoothly held all the plates and glasses to where they should be. She's flawless, seemed like her features and gestures were calculated but her smiles and glances showed me something real. Gelatin herself screamed perfection the moment she stopped and just stood beside me.

"Done!" she stated. "Kain na tayo?" alok niya pa sa 'kin.

Tumango lang ako. I never imagined before that the time will come I'll wake up for this. She's like a sunshine I've been dreaming to see so I woke up early. She's like the breakfast tea that I always wanted to greet me in the morning. She's something else more than just her attractive side. She's...

"Kuya Zac?" I looked at her to give my attention as a response. Bumungad sa 'kin ang nakakunot niyang noo. "Okay ka lang?"

"What?"

"Nakangiti ka ba kanina pa o nadudumi ka? Kanina pa kasi nakaunat 'yang mga labi mo," she noticed. And I didn't.

I pursed my lips and shook my head. "Bakit ako ngingiti?"

"Bakit ka nga ba ngingiti?" She scoped her chin as she rested her elbows on the table.

"Hindi ako ngumingiti," I firmly assured her.

"Naku. Naku. Ako pa talaga niloko mo. Alam ko na 'yan." Umiling-iling siya na parang basang-basa niya 'ko.

Pinaningkitan ko lang siya ng tingin habang patuloy siyang kumakain. Matagal ang titig ko hanggang sa magsalubong ulit ang tingin niya sa 'kin.

Nanlaki ang mga mata niya saka itinutok sa 'kin ang hawak na tinidor. "Huli ka balbon!"

Instead of adding fuel to her playful fire, I managed to spring the water onto it. I looked away as I blew air through my nose.

A call saved me from my situation so I immediately answered it. "Hello," I spoked as I gestured warning to Gelatin.

"Isaac..." Just by the way she called me and her voice, I already knew who it was.

I first glanced at Gelatin who's eating then cleared my throat. "Yes? Doing good?"

"Yep." I could feel her short smile in elegance. "Are you busy today? It's weekend and I want to go out." Her voice was full of hesitation yet she's courageous enough to speak up.

I hummed while looking at Gelatin and, at the same time, thinking for an answer. "I don't think I could come with you. I'm working on something," I reasoned out.

"Ow, then next time?"

"Yes, Isaac. I'm sorry. Will surely make it up for you when I have time."

"Okay. Thank you. Sorry for today." She sighed at the other line so I just smiled. "Bye. Always take care, ha? Don't abuse yourself, especially on your duties as a doctor," she casually reminded.

"I will." So I ended the call.

I sighed while Grace was still in my head. I couldn't avoid to think why she called me.

"Nu 'yon?" Gelatin uttered while chewing her food.

I simpered. "Grace. Related to a friend."

She just bobbed her head upon learning who I had a call with.