Chapter One

"She spun back towards the Crossroads. 'Is this real? It isn't just an illusion, a trick?'   Hatta shut his eyes.

 'It's real,' he whispered. Her blood throbbed 

'I have to go. I have to help her!'  

'No.' Hatta grabbed her wrist. 'You have to go on through the Looking Glass. Remember what will  become of you... of any of us!'  She peered at Jest, who looked as aghast as she felt."  (Meyer, 390-391)

"You're right" Cath sighed, "I can't risk any of you getting hurt on my behalf." She took a deep breath and turned away "Let's go," taking Jest's hand they followed Hatta out. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   They had been walking for hours down the winding paths of Chess. Cath's feet had turned numb from the ache, and her eyes were drooping with exhaustion. Jest noticed this and scooped her up in his arms. She buried her face in his shirt and sighed,  "Jest," Cath mumbled, "you smell like treacle." Jest laughed and planted a kiss on her head. The gentle rocking, and the knowledge that she was safe in Jest's arms, eventually lulled Cath into a deep sleep, the only sleep she'd had in a long time. 

     "HELP ME! SOMEBODY, PLEASE HELP ME!" Cath was in Peter-Peter's muddy pumpkin patch, "ANYBODY PLEASE HELP ME!"  

"Mary-Ann?" Cath yelled into the darkness "Mary-Ann where are you?" 

"Cath! I'm here I'm here! Please help me it's going to kill me!" Cath was off and running the minute she heard Mary- Ann's voice. Her dress was caught and torn by the brambles, but she didn't stop. She soon reached the pumpkin that the screams were coming from. 

"Mary-Ann can you hear me? MARY-ANN!" 

"CATH PLEASE HURRY IT'S GOING TO EAT ME!"

"What is Mary-Ann?" Her question had barely left her lips when the deafening screech of the Jabberwock sounded through the night. The black-winged creature flew above her and snatched the pumpkin-cage in its claws. "MARY-ANN!" 

Cath awoke with a start, sweat dripping down her neck. She looked around in shock at an unfamiliar room. Jest was asleep on a rather-large armchair in the corner, his hat laying on his lap looking suddenly less cheerful without its bells. She took a deep breath and untangled herself from the sheets, pulled the quilt off the bed and crossed the room. Cath curled up on the chair next to him and covered them both with the blanket. She soon drifted off to the rhythmic sound of Jest's breathing, back to her dreams still guilt-ridden nightmares.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi!

So I really hoped that you liked the first chapter of my fanfic! This is the first story I have ever published so I would really like some feedback. But please, no hateful comments, our world is already so ridden with hate and sadness there is no reason to add more. Also the first set of words in italics were quotes from Heartless. I do not own any of the characters or the copyrights for the amazing book that is Heartless.

Thanks again!!!

-SeekerHart