“I understand Clay,” Ruth said finally. Clay’s stiff posture relaxed a little and he ran his fingers through his dapper salt and pepper hair. Ruth continued, “But your clearly failing relationship with one of our longest standing clients has ultimately caused us to lose them to an aggressive competitor.”

Clay’s uneasy smile vanished, replaced by a dumbstruck gawk. “But… but Renée and I are getting married next spring, I... I can’t lose this job now. The venue alone is going to cost six months of my salary.”

Ruth’s skin prickled as though a cold draft had kissed the back of her neck. She swallowed the lump in her throat, which then seemed to lodge itself in her chest. “Renée? You mean RenéeHooper from Finance?”

“Y-Yes. Renée and I just recently got engaged and...”

“Congratulations,” Ruth said unenthusiastically. “Sounds like the perfect opportunity for a fresh start then. Friday will be your last day so you will need to think about cleaning out your office before then.” Ruth stood up and straightened her Burberry suit skirt with a curt smile. “I will file my report and send you a copy tomorrow. If you have any questions relating to the legality of your termination, feel free to contact Legal. I’m sure you will find it all above board.”

Clay stood up slowly. His usually chiselled features looked hollow and pale. Ruth led the way and waited patiently at her open office door, her arm extended in Clay’s direction. He plodded slowly past her without making eye contact, muttering something about ‘cancelling the Casablanca lilies’.

Techniche thanks you for your service and wishes you the best of luck for the future,” Ruth finished through her closing office door. She couldn’t make out the muffled response from the other side, but then again she didn’t want to. In her experience it was never anything particularly complimentary.

As Ruth returned to her desk her phone rang.

“Derek wants to see you now,” came the voice of her receptionist through the receiver.

“Thank you Jenni,” Ruth responded, “I’ll be there in a minute.”

Ruth let out a long sigh as she shed her alter-ego. She allowed her emotional emptiness to be occupied by a warm trickle of pride. At just twenty-nine she was by far the youngest employee to report directly to the CEO of Techniche, Derek Hopper. There was no doubt that he was extremely pleased with her work ethic and effectiveness as the company’s Human Resources manager and his request to see her meant he’d already reviewed her latest resourcing strategy.

Ruth pulled her matching scarlet suit jacket from the back of her chair and slid it over her pristine white blouse. She straightened the collar, ran her shellac nails through her chestnut hair and pulled her olive complexion into a rare but radiant smile.

Seeing Derek and receiving his undoubted praise would make the unpleasantness of the morning melt away. He understood her, he appreciated her determination to succeed and he made her feel like she belonged. Over the last few years Derek had begun to feel like the father she’d never had. Ruth squared her shoulders with confidence as she walked through the door and down the short hallway between her office and Derek’s.

As she rounded the corner, she passed his receptionist sitting at her desk and gave her a cool nod before knocking lightly on Derek’s door. Ruth could feel the receptionist’s eyes burning a hole in her back as she waited for a reply. She understood that her reverent relationship with Derek, along with her primarily disciplinary role, made her unpopular in the office. She was touted as the ‘teacher’s pet’, which was fair considering she had an unwavering need to do whatever he asked, regardless of what it required her to do.

“Come,” came the eventual gravelly response. Ruth’s heart skipped as she pushed the door open and entered Derek’s grand yet homely office. With its showcase of trophies, tall bookcases filled with dusty old books and the enormous, rough-cut mahogany desk in its centre, the office reminded Ruth of an old hunting cabin. All that was missing was a mounted stag head above a roaring fireplace in the corner.

“Good morning, Mr Hopper.” Ruth didn’t mind their formalities; it was partly how she’d gained and maintained his respect over the years.

“Good morning, Ms Wroth. I’m seeing some first class ideas in your latest strategy.” Derek sat at his desk, hidden behind a folded document that he held in his wrinkled, sun-spotted hand.

Ruth inhaled the compliment along with the rich smell of mahogany that filled the office; it made her feel a little lightheaded. “Thank you, Derek.” She replied. “There will have to be some significant terminations but the result will be well worth it. The merger with Giant IT will replace the talent we let go.”

Derek lowered the document to flash Ruth a pearly dentured smile. “That’s my girl,” he said. “I’ll need you to come in on the weekend to work with Legal and Contracts on the details. I want this executed immediately.”

“Of course Derek,” Ruth said without a second of delay. “I’ll be here Saturday at 7.00 am sharp.”