Chapter 1

The day my father was ripped from my life began like any other. I woke up at the usual hour (after hitting the snooze button for the third time) and got ready for school. I threw on a cute top and a pair of shorts and headed downstairs for breakfast. My father's torso was hidden behind the refrigerator door as he reached for the milk jug.

"Morning daddy," I called. The door closed, and my father emerged already dressed for work. He was wearing the tie Dennis and I had bought him for father's day. It was a gaudy thing, all covered in tiny pictures of cheeseburgers and fries, but he wore it anyway. I had made certain dad knew that Dennis had picked it out. He grinned at me with pep even though I knew he had worked late last night again.

"Good morning sweetheart. Did you sleep well?" I shrugged and slid into a chair.

"Well enough,"

"How did your essay go?" I shrugged again.

"I wrote it," I answered him vaguely. He gave me a stern look.

"Cadence, you know you have to step it up in your school work. If you're still getting 'D's in high school, we're going to have a problem getting you to college," I sighed, and looked into the empty cereal bowl. Dad insisted we set the breakfast table every night so things are ready in the morning.

"I know dad, it's just that... words are hard for me," He 'mmhmm'ed while pouring raisin bran into his bowl. "And no matter what I do, I can't get the spelling right!" He chuckled, and unscrewed the cap on the milk bottle.

"Well, it sounds like we need to make some homework for you," His lips crinkled up into a little grin at his own joke. He always looked a little too old to just be a dad. Most people assumed he was our grandfather, actually. His curly hair was just a little too gray, his skin a little too wrinkled. I never knew how old he really was. Every time the question would come up, he would just waggle his finger and say 'it's a secret'.

I groaned.

"Daddy, noooo,"

"We'll start off with a 20 word vocabulary and spelling list once a week. I'll give it to you on Mondays and I expect it back finished on Fridays," He spoke in a matter-of-fact manner, as if this were a business meeting instead of family breakfast.

I groaned again. More homework? The day had just begun and it was already terrible! It was then that my little brother decided to grace us with his presence. Dennis toddled slowly down the stairs, reaching for each step with his foot like a blind person with a cane. He had developed this system to 'maximize his gaming experience.' In simpler terms, Dennis couldn't live without constant access to Mariokart.

Without looking up from the screen, Dennis sat down at an empty seat, reached for a cereal box, and started pouring. An impressive feat, if he hadn't tried to sit on me, dad, and then the floor before finding a vacant spot. Half of the cereal ended up on the table around the bowl instead of inside it. Dad 'tsked' and grabbed the top of the device, pulling it from Dennis' hands.

"You know the rules, no electronics at the table. This is family time," Dad was big on family. Breakfast and weekends were the only times he really got to see and spend time with us. He spent most of his day managing an outlet store, but he always made time for Dennis and me.

Dennis protested of course, reaching his little 8-year-old hands up to grasp futily at the game. Dad placed it gently on the other end of the table, out of Dennis' reach and turned the screen away from him. Dennis huffed and plopped back into his chair, arms folded across his chest in defiance.

"None of that, young man. Now pick up that cereal you spilled, I'm your dad, not your maid,"

Dennis grumbled and began picking sullenly at the pieces of sugary wheat and marshmallow bits.