Imitation Eyes

Genre: ghost story

Location: beauty parlor

Object: box of cigars

      A rumored ghost town catches the attention of a young adult enough to check it out. Unfortunately, it doesn't go as expected.

   No solid proof or evidence but just enough whispers to catch my attention. A ghost town. It was a two-hour drive from my home town and I thought about visiting my parents after checking out the speculations. A good excuse to drive across the country and have a small respite from my boring desk job.

    Friday morning. The sky was still dark with barely any stars visible. Horizon tinged a deep crimson as the sun was beginning to rise. My suitcase bounced around the back seat of my rusting Yugo as I drove through yellow green hills and across bumpy desert roads. The pot holes everywhere were left to be avoided instead of fixed. It was just past sunset the next day when I pulled into the only hotel in town. I grabbed my bag and entered the building. The foyer was well lit and clean. Mosaic tiles shown my reflection back. The dark red drapes and upholstery contrasted nicely. I was helped by a young lady with unusually hazel eyes to get my room set up and paid for. Amusingly I was assigned room 13.

    As I walked down the hall to my lodging I passed a woman with green eyes as unnatural as the first's. "You should go to the beauty parlor when you wake tomorrow," she said stopping her amble, "She's expecting you." Confused by the comment I nodded and kept moving. The feeling of spiders crawling on my spine continued until I reached my room. Quickly I unlocked it and looked back at the women before rushing in. The door had a large lock that gave a satisfying thud as it turned. She was staring at me and those eyes were just a bit chilling for some reason.

    Tap, tap, tap. The sun was just beginning to shine through the curtains, coating the room in red. I stretched. Tap, tap, tap. It came again from the window and on unsteady feet I danced over, pulling the curtains back. No one was there. Rubbing sand from my eyes I took care of my morning needs. I left the hotel, searching for what could have been making the noise. A bird crowed a few feet away. I chuckled as I hopped back in my car and prepared to go to the parlor. Checking my mirrors, I saw the bird move. It was weird that it flew to sit in the road, staring after me as I drove away.

    The short distance down the road I noticed a lack of cars on the street and an odd amount of people out so early. They slowly walked the wooden sidewalks in groups or couples or sat gazing eerily at me as I drove past. I stood out like a rabbit with a waistcoat and pocket watch. Arriving at the parlor, I parked in front of the small building. The hinges creaked as I pushed open the door and the wood floor squeaked under me as I entered. The reception desk was empty save for a small silver bell sitting on a maroon cigar box. Curious I rang it. The soft sound was like the tinkling of fairy wings during a full moon. I closed my eyes, marveling at the music. Suddenly the room dropped in temperature and I shivered. My eyes snapped open as I heard a quiet voice behind me say, "You are foolish to seek what you do not believe." I spun on my feet but found the space empty. Moreover, the door that I had come through was gone.

    I turned back to the parlor room and nearly jumped off my feet. Dolled up mannequins sat at each station. Hair full of curls or pulled up in elaborate designs. Full make up to match the color scheme of each Victorian doll dress. All of them had their eyes closed. Taking a deep breath, I called out, "Hello? Is someone there? This prank is very well done but it's growing kind of old. Haven't you seen the prank shows on YouTube?" Only stone silence. Rolling my eyes, I started to look for the cameras that must have been hidden around. Slowly I walked down the aisle of almost people and began my search. Nothing. Nothing that I could find anyway.

    Turning back around, I froze. The dolls had moved. Their closed eyes seemed to be watching me and contemplating my presence in the shop. I took a step back and felt a hand stop my retreat. The smell of vanilla cigars wafted through the air and I choked on the sickly-sweet fumes. The hand tightened on my shoulder and I couldn't take it anymore. Frantic I pushed off of the thing behind me and ran down the line of figures. Their heads turned, following my frenzied withdrawal.

    Where the door was I met with the wooden wall. Glancing hectically over my shoulder I saw the dolls beginning to stand. I began clawing; nails snagging and breaking in the wood. My blood began to coat the boards and run red down the long depressions. Every time I looked back they were closer, and closer. The last time I looked they were right behind me, one reaching out their perfect porcelain hand towards me. After that was darkness.

    I awoke to what I assumed to be the next day, laying in the hotel bed, sun rising, and the curtains casting the room red. I was shaking. Disturbed by the vivid nightmare I decided to give up the ghost hunting and go visit my parents. I quickly packed and headed to my car. I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the tile floor on the way and thought I saw my eyes shining an unrealistic blue. Shaking my head, I moved faster to leave the strange area. Driving away through the now empty town, I saw another black bird watching me from the middle of the road. "You'll be back," his reflective eyes seemed to say, "You'll soon be back."