"Well, okay, Ms. Valedictorian." Jamie rolled her eyes again, "A Valedictorian that hasn't received an acceptance letter to the one place she really wants to go." Jamie sighed. "Glad I applied elsewhere huh..."

"Yeah, but it's something, J." Henry wrapped his arm around her shoulder. "And something is always better than nothing at all, babe. How about we changed the subject? How are things with mister man?"

"It's fine, I think. At least I hope. I haven't seen him much outside of class."

"Ugh, y'all doing this shit again." Henry groaned. "Can't y'all just keep it together while y'all here without the dramatics."

"You know what..." Jamie muffed him away from her. "I don't have time to hear your shit, bruh."

Henry threw his hands up. "I'm just saying! It's always something with you two. I mean, y'all have taken it this far. Just chill and ride this out for what it is. You'll both be in the clear come August."

"Yeah, you're right. August is only around the corner."

June 7, 2005...several weeks later

With seniors being released last Friday, his 6th period class reduced in size, now five fewer students. Empty their seats were, as the other students remained in the spots they'd occupied since the beginning of the year.

After dismissing his last class of the day, he lingered in the music room, toying with his acoustic. As promised many moons ago, he played for his class today, every tune they wanted to hear by the former rock star. Giving them their own little private acoustic set.

"I guess I missed it, huh?"

"She's alive," he replied dryly. "Yeah, you missed it. Where have you been, Jamie?"

Jamie strolled across the room with a duffle bag in tow. "I've been around." Mr. Nelson glanced up at his counterpart. "Where? Everywhere except Paisley..."

"I've been busy..."

"Yeah—"

Jamie was quick to interrupt. "Are you really mad?"

Prince looked up from his guitar, "And if I am?" Jamie hopped on top of his desk, "Please...don't be."

"You leave soon," he muttered, still strumming away.

"We still have the whole summer and you're wasting time..." Jamie tilted her head. "Meet me at our pick up point in fifteen?" Jumping off the desk, she headed out of the room without another word.

⏭⏭⏭

Jamie drove along the expressway, heading east. "Where are we going, J?"

"Wisconsin."

"Wisconsin?" He repeated. "For the night? I don't have any clothes or anything like that. Jamie I have class tomorrow—wait why are we even going?"

Jamie placed her hand on his knee. "Could you just relax and enjoy the ride? Everything's been taken care of. All you need to do is call in sick or something and just chill."

"Just chill?"

Jamie nodded, "Yup. Are you able to do that, sir?"

"I can call in for work, but I can't make any promises on the chill part, mama."

Jamie glanced in his directions. "What can I do to guarantee that you'll keep your cool until we get there?" Prince wiggled his brows, "Well–" Jamie held up a finger, "No, sir. Not gon happen. Is that all you been thinking about since the last time we were together?"