II.

For the first time in a while, she found herself sitting in the lunch room.

Since that evening at Dakota, she couldn't keep herself from thinking about this day. The day she'd face him after an awkward incident.

Would he mention it?

Would he ignore it as if it never happened?

Either way, she was petrified.

So much so that she contemplated skipping his class altogether and leaving for the day. The only thing stopping her? Explaining why she's home a period earlier than usual.

The sudden ringing of the bell broke her thoughts. Time to face the music...

Although it was against school policy, Jamie roamed the halls with her headphones jammed in her ears, bumping her favorite Slum Village album.

She figured if she entered the class with her focus elsewhere, he'd leave her be. Then again, all she really had to do was come in right at the bell. No time to speak then. Right? Right.

Inside, the instructor sat upon his desk, greeting the students as they entered.

Everyone seemed to be present, except one

Everyone seemed to be present, except one. One whom he managed to catch growing up a little too soon.

Just as the bell rung and he hopped down from the desk, she rushed inside. As always, she'd taken her place in the back of the room.

At least she was there, in her usual attire of dark wash jeans and black hoodie--hiding herself beneath the baggy clothing. Fortunately, he was on the same page, choosing to ignore her until the class had ended.

As the students disburse, Jamie remained in her seat. Tossing the headphones in, the sounds of Thomas Newman flowing through her ears. She wanted to take another stab at the piece that racked her brain. It was one of her absolute favorites.

Just because of the night at Dakota, she wasn't going to allow it to stop her from getting her practice in while she waited for Henry's 7th period class to end.

Paying no mind to the other occupant in the room, she set at the piano and played.

"Who's that by?"

She opened her eyes, removing the headphones from her ears. "Thomas Newman," she softly replied.

"It's nice."

"It's one of my favorites by him."

He watched her as he stood by his desk trying to find he right words to say. "Jamie, about the other day..."