prologue

0. "the snake falls for a wolf"

 "the snake falls for a wolf"

|

[4 years before the return of winter]

     The Starks waited anxiously in the great hall, waiting for their new symbol of peace and strength between two nations, the symbol that would complete the alliance of Winterfell and Ashdown.

     "My lord, I would like to present to you, Lady Giselle Bonnaire of Ashdown," Maester Luwin announced as he walked into the great hall, a young girl at his heels. She hung closely to her handmaiden, the only familiar face to the girl in all of Winterfell. The girl couldn't be more than thirteen. She had long chestnut waves that rippled perfectly down her back and soft green eyes. Not a hair was out of place, despite just having endured a long journey. Her eyes were hungry and curious, devouring every detail.

     "My lord," she greeted Eddard Stark. She bowed her head and curtsied politely, just as her father had forced her to practice a hundred times before he has allowed her to leave.

     "Your father did not lie when he said you were the fairest maiden in the North, my dear-- wouldn't you agree, Robb?" Ned said happily.

     "Yes, father," a boy said quietly. He was tall for his age, the ripe year of thirteen. A mop of curly, dark hair sat messily on his head, stray ringlets falling into his icy blue eyes. He tried to avoid looking at his newfound fiancée, trying to make himself feel less awkward.

     "My father, Lord Byron Bonnaire of Ashdown, has asked me to send my gratitude for your alliance with our people," Giselle thanked them.

     "Your people are fierce warriors. We've been awaiting your arrival, ma'lady. Welcome home," Ned chuckled warmly.

     "Ashdown is my home," Giselle said quickly, as though it were a reflex. As soon as the words slipped out, she felt guilty for disrespecting her new family.

     "One day you'll come to see Winterfell as your home," Lady Stark suggested kindly.

     "It is my honor to join our houses," Giselle replied softly.

     "Septa! Show our new guest to her quarters," Ned ordered. A short, round old woman scrambled into the hall and began moving Giselle and her handmaiden along.

     "If it is all right with you, Lady Bonnaire, I would like to show you the grounds myself," Lady Stark interjected, standing to her feet.

     "I would be honored, Lady Stark," the girl answered politely, walking in stride with the woman.

     As the two women walked through the castle, the young girl tried to memorize every detail of her new home. It looked nothing like the home she had once known. Snow and stone were all that awaited her here. Ashdown was lush and beautiful, abounding with trees and flowers. Winterfell seemed cold and dark in comparison. But nonetheless, she was pleased to be there. The Starks were a noble house and Robb Stark would make a good husband and a good lord one day.

     "Your father is a good man," Lady Stark sighed gently.

     "There is a difference between a good man and great warrior," Giselle challenged. Every man and every woman had their blessings and their challenges. Having a kind heart was not one of her father's blessings. He cared for his children desperately, but did not express it out of fear of making them weak.

     "You know, my father sent me to Winterfell when I was about your age," Lady Stark continued.

     "And, might I add, I was much less enthused than you," Lady Stark added with a small laugh.

     "You didn't like it here, ma'lady?" Giselle asked.

     "Winterfell is far from my home-- I have sisters and a brother," Lady Stark explained.

     "If I'm not mistaken, you have two brothers and a sister, yes?" Lady Stark asked.

     "Yes, ma'lady," Giselle replied.

     "Can I tell you a secret, Giselle?" Lady Stark asked with a small smile.

     "Of course, ma'lady," Giselle said eagerly.

     "Robb will make a great man one day," Lady Stark sighed proudly.

     "He is quite handsome," Giselle added, making Lady Stark chuckle softly.

     "He is twice as strong and three times as intelligent as he is handsome," Lady Stark promised.

     "Then I must be the luckiest maiden in all of the Seven Kingdoms," Giselle agreed.