Chapter 1

Being Elyria Snow, the first daughter of Lord Eddard Stark, though a bastard, he had doted on me when I was a child, giving into every whim of my wild spirit. He couldn't resist my big, gray eyes when I had begged to learn to shoot a bow. Or when I chose the wildest horses from the stables, those with the most fire.

Being a bastard, there were none of the social obligations, to marry well, that were expected of Sansa and Arya. Much to Lady Catelyn's displeasure, I was let to run wild.

***

I stood next to my older brother, and best friend, Robb in the line of our siblings, though we would both rather be doing something else. Him probably sparring with Theon or getting up to some other mischief with him, and I yearned for another ride on my beloved mount Devil, a fierce and wild black stallion my father had given me for my last name day.

But here we stood, awaiting the arrival of King Robert Baratheon and family. Bored, I bumped my shoulder into Robb. He retaliated by elbowing me in the ribs, but a fierce look from his mother Lady Catelyn Stark made us both straighten up and settle down.

Moments later we heard horses outside the gates of Winterfell and the royal procession came pouring into the castle yard. I half heartedly paid attention to the arriving guests until I felt eyes on me.

I tensed slightly, my gray eyes scanning the arriving guests until I saw a knight, his face hidden behind a helmet that looked like the head of a dog. I couldn't see his eyes, but I didn't need to, to know that he was the one watching me.

My gaze kept following him, and his fine black horse he rode. I was intrigued, for the other knights rode with faces showing but this one kept his obscured, watching me from the shadows. I couldn't help but wonder why he hid his face, was he just being mysterious or was he some hideous beast?

Robb elbowed me in the ribs, snapping my attention back to the matter at hand. King Robert had dismounted and was embracing our father. I smiled and curtsied when introduced like a proper lady, waiting patiently until we were released.

My eyes, once the attention was no longer on me, drifted back to the mysterious knight. I still couldn't see his eyes but I could feel them watching me.

Even talk of a feast tonight didn't distract me, mainly because I knew that Lady Catelyn would never let me attend. She wasn't cruel, but I could tell she couldn't bring herself to love me. After all, how do you bring yourself to love the child your husband had with another woman? And my wild spirit and smart mouth never helped the matter either.

And of course there were the rumours too. My wild nature had brought many to speculate, though none would say in front of my father, that my mother was a Wildling. I never really knew who she was and didn't really care to much. She had left me with Lord Stark as a baby and disappeared, never to be seen again.

"Bet you boys can't beat me in a race," I teased Theon and Robb, the moment father released us.

"You are on!" They yelled after me as we ran for the stables.

Devil was in fine form today. I could already hear his deep neigh and his hooves thudding against the wood of his stall when I reached the stables. One of the stable boys was cowering near his stall, muttering about "that devil horse." He was not the first to refer to the stallion by that, hence how he came by his name.

"Are you harassing another stable boy," I crooned running my hand down his neck. Devil settled at my touch, nickering softly and nuzzling my cheek with his velvety nose. "Pardon him," I apologized to the stable boy, helping him up. "He doesn't care for being penned in."

The stable boy nods and then gulps. "W..would you like me to saddle him f..for you Lady Elyria?" His voice dripped with dread.

"Best let me do that," I said with a kind smile.

The stable boy gave me a relieved smile before hurrying away. I quickly saddled and bridled Devil, leading him out into the stable yard. I leapt agilely onto his back and galloped out of Winterfell, Theon and Robb hot on my heels.

Had I not been so focused on glorying at the wind in my hair and the adrenaline rush of swift gallop, I would have sensed those mysterious eyes following me out if sight. But alas, the mysterious man in the hound helmet was forgotten for the moment.

***

Sorry for the slow start. I promise that it will get more exciting as we get farther in. Feedback is always appreciated. I will try to update every week or two, but I do write this for enjoyment between work and life so it will depend on those.