Chapter Nineteen Part One

Start from the beginning

"Auntee Emmee!"

She turned in surprise to see George toddling his way down the corridor, followed by Kate who was beaming at him.

"Hello George," Emmy murmured shyly, crouching down as he reached her. "I love your jumper," she added, fingering the soft cashmere that was adorned with a picture of Rudolph.

Kate laughed lightly. "Grandpa Mike got it for him, didn't he, Georgie? And he loves it."

Emmy smiled at the little boy. "Well, I have a Christmas jumper on too," she said, gesturing to her grey top with Noel written across it in pink. "But I prefer yours."

George broke into a smile, and he peered up at his mother before forcing himself onto Emmy, wanting a hug. "Hug!" he babbled, as he clambered onto her lap.

"Oh, you want a hug?" Emmy laughed, as Kate watched with amused eyes. "Should I?"

"You can carry him, if you want," Kate said. "He likes you. I told him about you, you see. I said that you were his new auntie. He said that he wanted to give you a hug."

"Aww," Emmy said, biting her lip as she got to her feet. George let out a wail, reaching up for her. "Does he want me to...?"

"I think he wants you to carry him, yeah," Kate said.

Emmy looked down at the little boy, endeared by his chubby cheeks, his sweep of blond hair and his warm brown eyes, and she smiled. "Come here then, George," she said, groaning slightly as she lifted him into her arms and sat him on her hip. "Time for breakfast?"

"Ya!" he said, clapping before cuddling into her.

"It's nice to not have to carry him for once," Kate said. "He rarely wants to walk anywhere on his own. He loves cuddles."

Emmy laughed, absentmindedly stroking George's hair as he nuzzled into her neck. "He's very affectionate."

"He just loves contact, I think," Kate said. "When he was a little younger he didn't. He wanted to crawl around and run around and explore. But now he loves hugs and loves cuddles."

"He's adorable," Emmy said.

"How are you?" Kate asked after a moment.

"I'm fine."

"Yeah?" Kate raised a perfectly sculpted eyebrow. "You and Harry?"

"Yeah, we're good." Emmy tried to look convincing. She sighed at Kate's not-fooled expression. "We are. It's just...getting harder."

"I know," Kate said. "The engagement is always...the hardest."

"What about the wedding?" Emmy laughed nervously.

"Oh, that's pretty hard too," Kate said, chuckling too. "But it's...different, I guess. The wedding is your day. The engagement is the press' day."

Before Emmy could answer, they'd reached an open door and Kate headed inside. Without even realising where she was going, Emmy followed, not even giving herself a chance to compose herself.

"Ah, Emmy!" Charles was the first to greet her. "I see you've made a little friend."

"Granpa!" George cooed, reaching with a hand to pat Charles' face. Charles chuckled adoringly.

"Hello Georgie," Charles said, kissing his hand. "Have you met Auntie Emmy?"

"Auntee Emmee," he babbled.

Kate laughed. "He's got a new best friend," she said. "I might actually be able to relax for once. Where's William?"

"He's still walking with Harry," Elizabeth said, sat at the head of the table.