Chapter 9

It was the night of the party. You had tried to do your jobs earlier that day but was told that was no longer necessary. Instead, you were getting prepared for the party. After getting cleaned up you got dressed. Other slaves helped you. No one questioned it but you could tell they were curious. You wanted to give them an answer but you couldn't think of any. As you were waiting for Arte to come get you, you look down at your hands. They were calloused and scarred from the incident when Arte pushed you to the ground. You sighed. Finally the door opened.

Bowing you say. "Emperor." Arte smiles before walking up to you.

"You can call me Arte." he says as he takes your hand. The smile fades when he notices the scars. 

"I tripped." you say hastily.

"Oh." He says as he runs his fingers over them. "They look so pretty on your hands." he says with a faraway look. You then realize. You may have won his affections but this man won't hesitate to harm you whenever he pleases. He looks up at you. "Well let's go to the party." He is about to whisk you away when you finally build enough courage to ask,

"Will they not question why you brought a slave as a partner?" Arte grins.

"They will question it. But as long as they keep quiet about it, we should be fine." He then takes you to the party.

The party was rather regal. Many political heads and wealthy families. You spot Arity in the corner with a tray full of drinks. A blank look on her face. She does not notice you. You are about to call out to her when you bump into someone.

"I am so sorry." You say as you bow your head.

"No worries." A man with black hair and blue eyes says with kind tone. You see his crest and know who he is.

"The Emperor of Vols." you say without thinking.

"I am indeed." Your eyes dart to Arity when it hits you.

"Excuse me. Can I talk to you outside?" you ask as soon as you make sure Arte is not nearby.

"Depends."

"Please it is urgent." Seeing your pleading eyes he agrees. The two of you head out to the balcony. You point to Arity.

"That girl over there is a slave. She is not even fully mature and yet she has been thrown into such a cruel position." You see him nod. "I know your empire buys and frees slaves. I know this asking a lot but can you please sneak her out with you?" What you were asking was a lot. If your plan failed, Arity would wind up dead. But you didn't want to risk the chance for her freedom.

"You know it is weird. Why just her. Why not everyone else?"

"I would if I could but then it would all be too suspicious. Arity is my friend. I know I am asking too much, but please. Help me." The Emperor looks at you and says.

"So her name is Arity and she is the one with the drinks in her hands." You smile gratefully and bow your head. "I do have one favor though."

"If it is something I can do, I will."

"Your name. What is it?"

"F/n."

"A beautiful name. My name Cedric Foss." He says before walking past you. Before he leaves he whispers. "If you also intend on escaping anytime soon just tell me okay." You turn around and see him walking towards Arity. He whispers something in her ear and instantly she is beaming with joy.

You rejoin the party and go to Arity. "F/n." she asks. "Can I go to your room later?" You nod. Arte soon finds you and he keeps you by his side for the rest of the party before you retire to your room.

Arity soon runs in and hugs you. "Thank you F/n." She says through tears. 

"This is what a friend does."

"You should come with me." she says hopefully.

"I can't. Not right now at least. I don't fully know what Arte is up to. My presence will do more damage then good."

"Will I get to see you."

"Maybe. You should go. You might miss your shot if you stay to long." Arity nods and hugs you once more.

"Goodbye F/n. I will never forget you."

"Neither will I." Arity soon leaves and sneaks out to join the Emperor of Vols to go to her newfound freedom. You sleep peacefully knowing she was going to be safe.

The next day, there is circulation about Arity succeeded in escaping the grounds. No one knows how she got out. No one except you.