In the Darkness

I made no protests at the gift of free food that this strange spirit had bestowed upon me. I appreciated the graciousness of its mercy and decision to allow me to live. The scorched remains of the family it had destroyed egged me on with guilt and suspicion as I devoured turkey legs and biscuits like they were the last I'd ever have. Taking food from strangers was a gamble I was glad I made. Ravenous was a word that hardly described how desperate I was for nourishment. I hadn't eaten since the day before and I didn't care at this point if it poisoned me or not. I was going to die if this creature saw fit to kill me and I'd rather die full than starving. A tryptophan coma was far preferable to other options for dying.

"Thank you," I burped aloud as I finished another glass of milk.

Sleep was on the way and I pushed my chair back beneath the table and stumbled back in fright as it disappeared into nothingness once more. Talk about shortened hospitality. Yet, I was still grateful. No pangs of Death shook my stomach and throat and, instead, the stairs beckoned me back to the upstairs where that nice, silken bed awaited me. Why should I make the trek home when it was still dark? And any other trespassers who meant me harm would suffer the wrath of whatever spirit dwelled here also.

Since when have you been so cruel?

I shoved this thought aside and allowed myself the luxury of pulling myself, stiff leg after stuffed feet until I reached the top of their incline.

Round is a shape; it is the only shape I am in.

Stifling a laugh at my own fatness--which I wasn't, but it was a going joke given how rail thin I was--I wandered back into the bedroom and found the covers tucked neatly back in place as though I had never disturbed them. They enticed me, almost wrapping themselves around me and folding me within them without any effort on my part. I felt like I was floating. I wished to stay like this forever, but I knew I couldn't.

A fat, brick-like object in my back pocket began to buzz. My hand hit my head and I realized just how foolish I was. I had opted to sneak a pair of jeans beneath my robes--no one had realized I wasn't dressed for graduation. Consequently, I had stuffed my phone into my back pocket to text during the more boring parts of the ceremony. Why hadn't I thought to call my parents and let them know I was stranded?

Am I stupid?

Reaching into my pocket, I fished it out and let the dim night-light bathe the room in orange. The lights flickered out and it became the only source of waking reality for me to hold on to. The sleeping nothingness around me was pulling me in as I squinted to make out the angry messages from my friends for not having responded to them. Granted, I only had two friends and they only really cared today because they wanted me to come out and party.

I opened the conversation between my mother and I.

0 Unread Messages.

Well, at least I know she cares.

Rolling my eyes, I bit back a few choice replies and opted instead to message her with words of kindness to spare myself a headache later. College was imminent so long as I kept my head down and said nothing. The scholarship had kept them quiet about the few costs left and they had even opted to help me pay for the remaining balance just to get me out of the house. I was willing to bet the funds for my job would be able to go toward other things... I couldn't afford to jeopardize that. Not when I was this close.

Hey Mom,

Sorry for not reaching out sooner. The Trash broke down and I'm staying at a friend's house. It's on Route-7, in case you were wondering. I'll save up the funds to get it fixed.