Finally....

…So she went down to the threshing floor and did just as her mother-in-law had told her…

Bo’az woke up, startled at the pain in his head. It was throbbing mercilessly and he gently cursed the grape wine. Ruth had not come. All night long, throughout the celebrations he had looked out for her, hoping he could catch a dance with her and relieve himself of the unspoken feelings. He had wanted to confess his love for her and somehow it seemed like tonight was the best night to do so.

As the night wore on and she did not arrive, he joined Elias and Elihu, son of Toa’hu and had drunk himself into stupor. He was paying its consequence now; the ache in his head a reflection of what was to come.

He stretched out and shuddered at the cold wind that blew over his ankles. He sat up straight and nudged someone, thinking it was one of the drunken revelers, and tried to pull his cloak over his ankles, when the person stirred. In the moonlight, the figure appeared to be “that of a woman.”

“Who are you?” he asked groggily, praying he hadn’t taken a harlot in his drunkenness.

The clear voice drifted over to him. It answered, “It is Ruth,” the fear and anxiety reflecting in her speech. She had uncovered her face and was looking angelic, the pale moonlight a halo upon her locks.

In that moment he gathered her to him; shushing her and whispering sweet words into her ears. She, by her action, had just surrendered herself to him, making him her master. It was normal to fear rejection for he had rejected many maidens in his past. He had tried reassuring her.

“I will do everything you want, Ruth. I know you are a woman of great worth and quite honestly, there’s no need for you to be worried. Just remain this night and in the morning, I will inform the elders about this. There is a kinsman that is closer than I, Ruth, and we will have to resolve this among ourselves. Go to sleep.”

Then he cuddled her and kissed her to sleep.

She lay by him until morning and arose before any of the revelers, surprised to see Bo’az still awake; deep in thought. He gave her some barley and kissed her; telling her exactly what to communicate to her mother—in–law. Then he sent her on her way, telling her the words she wanted to hear.

“I love you.”

*

“…Naomi said “Wait, my daughter, until you learn how the matter turns out, for the man will not rest, but will settle the matter today…”

Bo’az was at the city gates; the elders sitting in a circle around him. He had sent for the next of kin; a man named Ishvi and while they were waiting, he made his intentions known to the elders, noting that they all seemed to be in agreement with him. Yes; the Moabitess was a worthy woman; honorable and fair of face and character. They would help him… they said. Ruth would be his.

*

They were both apprehensive; waiting for news from Bo’az. Naomi could sense the young woman’s uneasiness; the poor one was pacing up and down; and for a while there, Naomi was tempted to tell her not to drill holes into the ground. In her heart she prayed for her; this was her future and as she knew of the Lord’s faithfulness; she hoped Ruth’s matter would favor her. The lass needed some happiness; she deserved it, and as she watched the distressed figure she hoped for the best…

*

They had been here for an hour and a half now and the man was not budging. He seemed also very interested in the vast farmlands that Eli’melech had left behind. Bo’az prayed in his heart and tried again; this time calling up all the wisdom the Lord had bestowed him.

“The day you take the field from Naomi; you also claim Ruth the Moabitess, the widow of the dead, in order to restore the name of the dead to his inheritance.” The man seemed to think then; his brow furrowing in concentration while conferring with his father.

The wind was blowing gently at the palms at the city gate, and there a decision was made. Ishvi stood and cleared his throat. “I cannot redeem it for myself lest I impair my own inheritance. Take my right of redemption yourself, for I cannot redeem it.”

The deal was sealed. Ishvi drew off his sandal and gave it to Bo’az, in the manner of attesting in Israel. To all he had relinquished his rights.

Ruth belonged to Bo’az now. His heart was soaring. And as soon as he had finished with the customary greetings and thanks, he rushed to the old house of Naomi.

 He had to tell them.

A year later…

then the women said to Naomi, “blessed be the Lord, who has not left you this day without next-of-kin. And may his name be renowned in Israel.And may he be to you a restorer of life and a nourisher of your old age; for your daughter-in-law, who loves you, who is better to you than seven sons, has borne him." Then Naomi took the child and laid him on her bosom, and became a nurse to him. Also the neighbor women gave him a name, saying, "There is a son born to Naomi." And they called his name Obed. He was the father of Jesse, the father of David…

…and of the line of David came Jesus, the Redeemer.